• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Style misconceptions and ridiculous comments.

dragos25

Reaction score
I recently got my first pair of dark indigo straight leg jeans, and wore them today with brown cap toe boots to class. Got comments from skinny, ripped jeans- and chucks wearing colleagues that I look like a "cowboy". I've also heard them call my brown medallion toe bluchers "my butterfly shoes" or call oxfords "gay shoes"
rotflmao.gif

People and various friends are often confused by ribbon belts or button-down collars, mistake a peacoat with a blazer,think dress watches or leather soled shoes that click-clack are "effeminate" and consider proper, long dress socks or thick wool socks outlandish, wearing ankle high white socks with everything
uhoh.gif

My grey flannel trousers are sometimes confused with sweatpants while corduroy, moleskin and linen is looked at with suspicion along with any pants not made of denim. I've been called Elvis for wearing white jeans or people said I looked like I was from the seventies because of my denim jacket
lol8[1].gif

This all made me wonder: what are the weirdest comments you ever received from people about the stuff you wear? What are the biggest misconceptions people have had about the kinds of clothes we like here?

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Butterfly shoes." :rotflmao:

That's actually pretty funny, at least when I'm at work on a Thursday afternoon.

I may regret this post later.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sometimes when I wear pebble grain shoes people call them "Cracklin' Oat Brans."

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Little-known fact: Cracklin' Oat Bran (the cereal) is actually named after cracklin' oat bran (the shoe texture), not the other way around.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads