• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Style Change Advice Please

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
your going to have to spend money buy things that you think you like keep what works for you sell what doesn't.

as time goes by it will get easier.

antipattern

Reaction score
I'm sorry my post has made you so annoyed, and I'm sorry if I made a mistake. I've been reading around the forum and I have been checking out a few websites but decided to ask a question here so I could maybe have a conversation with some people who have more experience and are more 'stylish' than I am to hopefully improve my clothing style. I thought a site called 'styleforum' might be the place to talk about these things.

To be fair in my original post I wrote down some of the items I have been buying and wearing recently and a little bit about my personal circumstances in the hope that maybe in a discourse I can find out more than reading the articles I've been reading. I'm getting what people are saying but I'd kinda like to know how I can apply them to myself. I also posted a few looks in the original post that I liked and that was the look I was going for - unfortunately I don't know what that particular look is called which is why I added links.

I don't mean to sound pissy or angsty but I thought this was the point of forums like these, to ask advice and have conversations with others? I didn't expect to be snarled at or judged - which is exactly what is putting me off making a change or talking about it with shop assistants, peers etc.

Believe me, there is plenty of this attitude around here, and that was not even close to the worst of it. Take it all with a grain of salt. It's easy to get offended but learn from it and take the good with the bad. Really, this website is one of the greatest resources available to people learning how to dress better. People here aren't afraid to say "that looks like ****" when it looks like ****. Most everyone else in the real world will censor their opinions even if you ask them to be honest. Threads like this are frustrating to some members because fashion isn't about applying a cookie cutter outfit to oneself, but rather learning what articles work together and how to sport them best. Developing style is about learning what you like, and if you want some commentary it is much more beneficial to ask for it once you have something put together. Believe me, when I first started lurking here, I was hoping for the magic answer, but it didn't come, and I'm glad it didn't. If it had, it wouldn't have been mine, and I wouldn't have had to develop my senses.

What helps us as advisers is if you show us links to combinations that you are considering (e.g., the shoe link you posted). The pictures of the models is fine and well, but start putting together your own combinations of shirt, sweater, pants, shoes, etc. and then ask. Better yet, throw together some outfits using clothing you currently have and we will tell you what looks good or what articles break them.

MiniW suggested H&M, which is a great store. It's arguably even better than BR or J.Crew for starting out considering the price point and larger range of styles offered there.

Maybe take a trip to the local mall in the next few days and put together a couple of outfits, even if you don't end up buying them. Post pictures and we'll tell you what's up.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm sorry my post has made you so annoyed, and I'm sorry if I made a mistake. I've been reading around the forum and I have been checking out a few websites but decided to ask a question here so I could maybe have a conversation with some people who have more experience and are more 'stylish' than I am to hopefully improve my clothing style. I thought a site called 'styleforum' might be the place to talk about these things.

To be fair in my original post I wrote down some of the items I have been buying and wearing recently and a little bit about my personal circumstances in the hope that maybe in a discourse I can find out more than reading the articles I've been reading. I'm getting what people are saying but I'd kinda like to know how I can apply them to myself. I also posted a few looks in the original post that I liked and that was the look I was going for - unfortunately I don't know what that particular look is called which is why I added links.

I don't mean to sound pissy or angsty but I thought this was the point of forums like these, to ask advice and have conversations with others? I didn't expect to be snarled at or judged - which is exactly what is putting me off making a change or talking about it with shop assistants, peers etc.

I'm not "so annoyed." You apparently think everyone is angry, pissy, and angsty, including yourself. You sound paranoid or emotionally fragile. If this is the first time you've posted on a message board, welcome to the internet. It can be kind of unvarnished and jarring. You are however asking a huge string of questions that have little to do with style. There is not a "look" that goes with a 5'6 man with long blond hair and works in the creative industries.

It's okay if you don't know exactly what kind of look you're going for, at the beginning. The first pic from asos is definitely more menswear, so you want to check in on that side. The other two look like eurotrash and kind of ill-advised... unbuttoned denim shirt with long arms under a camelhair blazer, with aviator shades? Screams douche, and if you ever wore it in the real world would look silly. Buy a pair of decent shoes or boots to start with (see Alden & AE threads). Figure out what your size really is in various brands. Buy uniqlo or other inexpensive brands to start with. Make bigger purchases judiciously. Figure out for what is working. Advice is all around you in other threads.

SimonPeters

Reaction score
Believe me, there is plenty of this attitude around here, and that was not even close to the worst of it. Take it all with a grain of salt. It's easy to get offended but learn from it and take the good with the bad. Really, this website is one of the greatest resources available to people learning how to dress better. People here aren't afraid to say "that looks like ****" when it looks like ****. Most everyone else in the real world will censor their opinions even if you ask them to be honest. Threads like this are frustrating to some members because fashion isn't about applying a cookie cutter outfit to oneself, but rather learning what articles work together and how to sport them best. Developing style is about learning what you like, and if you want some commentary it is much more beneficial to ask for it once you have something put together. Believe me, when I first started lurking here, I was hoping for the magic answer, but it didn't come, and I'm glad it didn't. If it had, it wouldn't have been mine, and I wouldn't have had to develop my senses.

Thanks, I guess I'm just a little frustrated at finally asking for some help to get such a harsh reaction from some people. Its ok I havent taken it to heart haha!

MiniW suggested H&M, which is a great store. It's arguably even better than BR or J.Crew for starting out considering the price point and larger range of styles offered there.

Yeah, H&M is pretty good, I get most of my smarter shirts from there also got a nice pair of slim fit black trousers and a grey Peacoat. And also actually - my blue pinstripe suit is H&M

What helps us as advisers is if you show us links to combinations that you are considering (e.g., the shoe link you posted). The pictures of the models is fine and well, but start putting together your own combinations of shirt, sweater, pants, shoes, etc. and then ask. Better yet, throw together some outfits using clothing you currently have and we will tell you what looks good or what articles break them.

Great, I'll do this tonight hopefully - throw together some outfits I've been trying and post them up to see what the reaction is.

Thanks for taking the time and patience to deal with me! haha!

SimonPeters

Reaction score
Quote:
Thanks for the impromtu psych evaluation, but I don't think 'everyone is angry, pissy and angsty' - just you. I took from the tone of your message you were pissed off at me for asking the question - or rather pissed off at anyone for daring to ask for help on these forums. I dont expect a 'look' that goes with my height, hair and job - I was putting those things in there for a bit of context. Height because it lets people know I'm short, hair for my complexion and my job I mentioned because it is usual to have an extremely casual dress code and was hoping this might inform the choices of smart or casual wear or something that might be suitable. And yes, I have used the internet before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meso

It's okay if you don't know exactly what kind of look you're going for, at the beginning. The first pic from asos is definitely more menswear, so you want to check in on that side. The other two look like eurotrash and kind of ill-advised... unbuttoned denim shirt with long arms under a camelhair blazer, with aviator shades? Screams douche, and if you ever wore it in the real world would look silly. Buy a pair of decent shoes or boots to start with (see Alden & AE threads). Figure out what your size really is in various brands. Buy uniqlo or other inexpensive brands to start with. Make bigger purchases judiciously. Figure out for what is working. Advice is all around you in other threads.

Thanks for your advice here, which is what I was more looking for. Like I said I'm pretty clueless and picked out a couple of looks that I wouldn't mind emulating or adapting, like you have said:

what do you want to look like? Hip professor? Artsy migrant?? I'd like to say you could figure this out before you buy anything, but you'll probably have to buy a bunch of stuff and 3/4 of it you won't wear in a year because you figured out by then what you really like. It's kind of a process. Lurk moar, starting buying items that interest you, rinse, repeat.

but the items and looks that interest me look like 'eurotrash' and 'douche' - which is fine for you to say, which is what I was after. But I didn't know it looked so bad, and that is the kind of advice I'm after.

I'd rather get back on topic than continue this argument. By the way when I mentioned 'I don't mean to be pissy' in my response to your post it was my way of sticking up for myself without the intention of getting in an argument about it.

I'll freely admit, I'm here from some help and advice and a bit of chat and maybe to meet new people as I try and improve my image.

red81

Reaction score
Quote:
+1 on emulation advice. with today's internet, you can find out what clothing your style icons are wearing with just about any photo of them out there. most importantly i think is to start with shoes, and don't be afraid to spend money on them. if you find a shoe you like, you can usually find a deal on them online and they can end up being cheaper than some crap corrected-grain-glue-job fashion shoe.

good luck.

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get away from eurotrash look trust me save the money now..... Just look at buy/sell section and ebay. Buying new might be bad for you since you still havent found what you like.

I still vote you go goth ninja....

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quote:
I'd rather get back on topic than continue this argument.

Uh there's not really an argument happening here.
You just have lots of learning to do.
Particularly if you think those are "looks"...
Get crackin'!

SimonPeters

Reaction score
Uh there's not really an argument happening here.
You just have lots of learning to do.
Particularly if you think those are "looks"...
Get crackin'!

I'm sorry, I'm really confused now. What is a 'look' if its not what I was showing?

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sounds like his "look" is Pitti / #menswear on a budget. Unfortunately, that look is not very popular on these forums. If you browse the WAYWT, there will be be a handful of users that will fit your expectations. You might also be exposed to other styles that you find interesting.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads