• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Studio D' artisan wallets

KennyGhetzoff

Reaction score
anyone here own one these currently on sale at BiG?

They similar I suppose to red moon...

I'm looking for a quick review. Thanks.

dmkdmn

Reaction score
I've had one for about a year (bought one mid-may? last year from coldrice) and it's taken on a nice patina. That said, the clasp for the honkin' gigantic button fell off so I have to get a new one. The leather is nice, the detailing is nice, but I'm not sure if it's as nice as a comparable redmoon (never seen one in the flesh).

they're pretty big at the beginning, but they flatten out to a less-ridiculous (but still somewhat ridiculous) size.

KennyGhetzoff

Reaction score
hey dmk,

have you found it uncomfortable over the last year to sit on the wallet?

ps. thanks for the responses gents

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KennyGhetzoff
hey dmk,

My buddy got one, I got one of the RM-esque ones (exactly same as RM) and they are actually identical in size.

ino

Reaction score
they look nice.. where can i get them again is it cheaper that rm?

dmkdmn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KennyGhetzoff
hey dmk,

It's not uncomfortable, per se, but if you do not have something evening out the rather large hump that it puts back there (like a fat cell phone or something), then it can get uncomfortable. I sit on it every now and then, but usually i just take it out and put it on the table or if I have my backpack/messenger bag with me, I toss it in there. The main reason it's uncomfortable is the big emblem; the leather bends and moves but that huge nickel (?) pigdian does not budge.

That said, I will work on getting pics of it...the red moons in natural are really nice, but I've seen a few too many that got fucked up from indigo and various other stains to try and attempt breaking one in. I'm of a mind that it's just a wallet, albeit a rather expensive one, and while one should obviously take care of it like any other leather good, babying a wallet is sort of silly. I am not saying that red moons necessarily require babying, but I do believe one can totally mess up the saddle leather finish if they're not careful..and that's a shame.

I've found my light brown SDA wallet to take on a comparable (if not darker) patina than most of the saddle leather red moons i've seen. I wouldn't describe it as complex as most of the red moons I've seen, as I didn't really care about indigo bleeding or anything like that because it turned dark brown as opposed to bluish-tan.

Another wallet you might want to look at is the fabfour one: http://www.fabfour.co.jp/netshop/bab...ist_ac001.html

although you may have reservations about ordering from Japan, it seems shinchi is totally on the level. I don't know if they still sell direct, though, as they have US distributors.

hope this has helped.

KennyGhetzoff

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmkdmn
It's not uncomfortable, per se, but if you do not have something evening out the rather large hump that it puts back there (like a fat cell phone or something), then it can get uncomfortable. I sit on it every now and then, but usually i just take it out and put it on the table or if I have my backpack/messenger bag with me, I toss it in there. The main reason it's uncomfortable is the big emblem; the leather bends and moves but that huge nickel (?) pigdian does not budge.

That said, I will work on getting pics of it...the red moons in natural are really nice, but I've seen a few too many that got fucked up from indigo and various other stains to try and attempt breaking one in. I'm of a mind that it's just a wallet, albeit a rather expensive one, and while one should obviously take care of it like any other leather good, babying a wallet is sort of silly. I am not saying that red moons necessarily require babying, but I do believe one can totally mess up the saddle leather finish if they're not careful..and that's a shame.

I've found my light brown SDA wallet to take on a comparable (if not darker) patina than most of the saddle leather red moons i've seen. I wouldn't describe it as complex as most of the red moons I've seen, as I didn't really care about indigo bleeding or anything like that because it turned dark brown as opposed to bluish-tan.

Another wallet you might want to look at is the fabfour one: http://www.fabfour.co.jp/netshop/bab...ist_ac001.html

although you may have reservations about ordering from Japan, it seems shinchi is totally on the level. I don't know if they still sell direct, though, as they have US distributors.

hope this has helped.

ok, so I've been kicking around with it in my back pocket for a few days and the thing is montrous. Your are right, dm... the pewter emblem is what really puts it over the edge.

The wallet fits fine in my KMW's because of the pocket size but in my RRDGs it doesn't cooperate as nicely. Most denim doesn't have pockets as big as Kicking Mules... so thats a potential problem for me not being able to haul this thing around in any pair of pants I'm wearing... that's aside from the (un)comfort factor. But anyway, the thing is just dead cool, so I'm trying to figure ways of dealing with it.

I'll put up some pics if anyone cares to see.

calatrava

Reaction score
interested
tongue.gif

rome1

Reaction score
smsda3.jpg
smsda2.jpg
smsda4.jpg
smsda1.jpg

I recently purchased one over at Blue in Green, the button isn't terrible to get used to but i've always had a rather large wallet, kinda prefer it.

KennyGhetzoff

Reaction score
hey Rome, I got the two tone version. Nice stuff!... just curious. You stuffin this bad boy in your back pocket? Havin' any trouble with it fitting? I'll post some pics soon.

calatrava

Reaction score
interesting details, such as the spade shaped snap, and the really thick stitching that sets it apart from a redmoon and all that. creates an interesting aesthetic, makes it pretty aggressive, if you can describe a wallet so.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads