• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Striped Dress Shirts

ferrari360

Reaction score
I am in the market for a couple of striped dress shirts. I have a lot of solids and thought I should put a bit more flavor in my wardrobe.

I am probably going to purchase 3-5 dress shirts. Can you guys provide any advice on what I should look for?

I know blue and white stripes are common in the office. I was also told that thick/bold stripes are generally a bit more casual than thin stripes.

Also - what kind of tie/suit combination do you recommend for striped shirts?

Thanks.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find blue, red, gray and pink stripes easier to match. I'd start with some of those at first.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Light blue bengal.

Edit: like this heavy Thomas Mason oxford (for autumn/winter):

oxford75lichtblauwwitst.jpg

thomasmasonoxford75lich.jpg

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ferrari360
I am in the market for a couple of striped dress shirts. I have a lot of solids and thought I should put a bit more flavor in my wardrobe.

I am probably going to purchase 3-5 dress shirts. Can you guys provide any advice on what I should look for?

I know blue and white stripes are common in the office. I was also told that thick/bold stripes are generally a bit more casual than thin stripes.

Also - what kind of tie/suit combination do you recommend for striped shirts?

Thanks.

This isn't quite what you're going for, but maybe you hadn't considered it - fine/superfine stripes. They give a bit of visual texture/spice at personal range but are essentially solids at a distance.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
I find blue, red, gray and pink stripes easier to match. I'd start with some of those at first.
+1
Go easy on the red, though. Lean more toward tomato and less toward fire engine. One or two wide stripes and one or two fine stripes in each of the colors above and you're set.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
Light blue bengal.

Edit: like this heavy Thomas Mason oxford (for autumn/winter):

oxford75lichtblauwwitst.jpg

thomasmasonoxford75lich.jpg

+1

Awesomely versatile. Do either of these oxford cloth patterns with a solid navy tie and virtually any suit, including plaids, for a killer look.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Striped shirt done right, courtesy of Sciamat:

checkjacket_sciamat18032010173.jpg

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bull

Cool looking, but a little loud/dandyish to be practical in most circumstances, IMO. You really have to be a certain sort of person to pull off this kind of combination in public.

vincerich

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bull

Striped shirt done right. Jacket down terribly wrong IMO.....Maybe it takes a forum-freak to "get it."

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vincerich
Striped shirt done right. Jacket down terribly wrong IMO.....Maybe it takes a forum-freak to "get it."

Save the excessive pleating on the shoulders, what is so wrong w/ the jacket? Methinks people often just love to hate on Sciamat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads