• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Strength vs. Power

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Just for the hell of it, and cos Ive been shooting vodka...I'll take a stab at answering...

I think I am pretty good at generating power. I have a damn good right cross. So I think in a punching context that is a combination of a bit of strength, a lot of speed, and damn good technique. Extrapolate that out as you will.

I do not think I am particularly strong though. I am not someone that could take a wheelbarrow full of bricks, and push it four miles uphill into a headwind. I know someone like that - he is a chiropractor actually, and seriously as strong as an ox. I am not sure that - to use the punching analogy - he could generate my power....but I damn sure don't have his strength. I also happen to live in a place where like 70 year old guys ride really highly-geared pedicabs for a living. These scrawny old dudes will put a fridge on those things, then ride 20 mile in stop start traffic to deliver them...crazy amount of strength from people who could damn sure not generate a whole lot of power.....

I guess then I associate strength with endurance and power with short bursts....

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find this guide to training for competitive rock climbing illuminating:

1. Strength - The ability for the muscle to stay contracted under a maximum load.
  2. Power - The ability to generate the contraction of strength
Strength is static and power is dynamic.
[Strength] can be trained using isolation movements, focusing on a specific set of muscles, while power is best trained using compound movements, possibly numerous muscle groups with movements involving more than one joint.
Power is a combination of timing and strength. The timing of when to contract different muscles is something learned through practice and training. Generally as you work a boulder problem you are not getting much stronger but you are getting more powerful, learning how to use the strength at the right time.
He also distinguishes between power (seconds), power-endurance (a few minutes), and straight endurance (minutes to hours).

highball

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
I find this guide to training for competitive rock climbing illuminating:

He also distinguishes between power (seconds), power-endurance (a few minutes), and straight endurance (minutes to hours).

Thanks for the link, I'll have dig deeper but it looks like there's some good info there. Most of my understanding of strength vs. power also comes from rock climbing, so I might be wildly of base here. But as far as I understand (basically elaborating on what Jared posted):
Strength - the ability of a muscle's individual fibers to contract under load. In addition to what Jared posted I've heard/read that strength is specifically about the load capacity of muscle fibers themselves, and is not directly related to the actual action or duration of muscle contraction.

Power - synonymous with muscle fiber recruitment. Basically how many muscle fibers can the body's nervous system tell to contract at once and in unison. This affects both the ability to move something heavy through a range of motion, and the speed at which that motion can be made.​

As above strength = static, power = dynamic

Furthermore it seems that strength gains and hypertrophy are related in that strength increases can produce hypertrophy (though hypertrophy can occur without strength gain), but power is unrelated to hypertrophy. Anyone with a bio or medical background care to weigh in on whether or not this is accurate?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BWB
When lifting/working out, what is the difference? I had a brief conversation with a trainer at the gym. I am going to start seeing a pro about twice a week. He asked if I was after strength or power. I did not know what to say.

what does that have to do with anything?

MonkeyFresh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
That's work.

Power is work/time.

Thanks, I'm rusty from High school AP physics
teacha.gif

Originally Posted by why
Maybe not the formulas, but the concepts definitely should. Conjugate training theory, the Russians, plyometrics, etc.

+1

Interesting thoughts highball

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads