Stop wearing dress shoes (oxfords, brogues, monks) without socks!!!!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by edmorel, Aug 19, 2009.

1. ajv

ajv Senior member

Loafer socks.

[​IMG]

those above just seem exactly what one needs to have the look (which I don't subscribe to) without the annoyances....

2. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

Good, i'm not the only one on here saying it.

3. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I've worn longwings sockless for casual wear a few times, but I wouldn't do it with a suit. A little powder in the shoes reduces if not eliminates sweat and smell. I don't like the sockless look with suits.

4. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

Loafer socks don't help the look. Similar things to good-quality dress shoes worn without socks: -- good-quality dress shoes that have never seen a shoe tree or polish -- sports coat worn unbuttoned, with rocks in the hip pockets -- ties removed and hung in a closet, still knotted (to "save time") -- dress shirts worn four times between washes -- dress shirts subjected to high heat in the dryer, puckering shoulder seams -- trousers worn with so much break, the hems are permanently soiled and prematurely frayed I don't think it looks good to wear your clothing like you are totally frickin' clueless about how to care for your clothing.

5. origenesprit

origenesprit Senior member

I like this look, but it is far too uncomfortable, so I never do it.

6. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

Loafer socks don't help the look.

Similar things to good-quality dress shoes worn without socks:

-- good-quality dress shoes that have never seen a shoe tree or polish
    -- sports coat worn unbuttoned, with rocks in the hip pockets
    -- ties removed and hung in a closet, still knotted (to "save time")
    -- dress shirts worn four times between washes
    -- dress shirts subjected to high heat in the dryer, puckering shoulder seams
    -- trousers worn with so much break, the hems are permanently soiled and prematurely frayed

I don't think it looks good to wear your clothing like you are totally frickin' clueless about how to care for your clothing.

That's a sign of handwork [​IMG]

7. IBJanky

IBJanky Senior member

I go sockless at times, depends on how I feel. That's just my style though... and I just don't care what other people think.

As long as I feel good and confident about myself, that's all that matters.

myke

8. Grainraiser

Grainraiser Member

I go sockless at times, depends on how I feel. That's just my style though... and I just don't care what other people think.

myke

I only like the sockless look with some loafers but like you said it's all personal preference. If you like that's what you should roll with it.

9. bafield

bafield Senior member

those above just seem exactly what one needs to have the look (which I don't subscribe to) without the annoyances....
    It's not the hygienic nature of sock-less look that most here would oppose...it's how it looks. Again, there are some shoes that lend themselves to this look better than others (loafers for example) but Edmoral's point is that it looks awful with oxfords, brogues, and monks specifically.

10. Agnacious

Agnacious Senior member

I'm doing everyone a big favor, no need to thank me. There is a disturbing trend in WAYWN and in the Sartorialist of men with dress shoes and no socks. Very few shoes look good without socks. Loafers, boat shoes, bucks. Dress shoes are not made to be worn without socks and you do not look good. Because some Japanese dude is copying some idiot in Italy who thinks he is styling wearing a three piece suit, brogues and no socks, does not mean that you have to do it. Sweat in said leather lined shoes is also not a good thing. Please stop wearing sportcoats, suits, the whole nine yards and then go sockless. I repeat, you do not look good. If it's leather and a leather sole, has a heel and you have to lace it, wear some phucking socks.

I look at this PSA with the same mixture of wonder and horror as when I buy something like a new tv and it has a note that says "do not eat".

11. scruff

scruff Senior member

myke

False. This is the sartorial equivalent of "it doesn't matter if you win or lose, it's how you play the game"

12. rlx

rlx Senior member

Thanks for having the courage to say it loud and proud....

+2

13. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

False. This is the sartorial equivalent of "it doesn't matter if you win or lose, it's how you play the game"

I lol'ed.

14. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

I'm doing everyone a big favor, no need to thank me. There is a disturbing trend in WAYWN and in the Sartorialist of men with dress shoes and no socks. Very few shoes look good without socks. Loafers, boat shoes, bucks. Dress shoes are not made to be worn without socks and you do not look good. Because some Japanese dude is copying some idiot in Italy who thinks he is styling wearing a three piece suit, brogues and no socks, does not mean that you have to do it. Sweat in said leather lined shoes is also not a good thing. Please stop wearing sportcoats, suits, the whole nine yards and then go sockless. I repeat, you do not look good. If it's leather and a leather sole, has a heel and you have to lace it, wear some phucking socks.

Amen, this always gives me mental images of clammy, sweaty feet and sweat stained sockliners.. Yuk..

15. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]