• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steve Jobs style

Seluv

Reaction score
Maybe someone can explain to me, but what is "wrong" with the clothing Steve Jobs wears now? He actually looks very neat, with: a black mock turtleneck and jeans, both of which fit!

Why do people now believe baggy hospital gown style scrub shirts and oversize jeans where leg bottoms drag along on the ground at feet and waist drapes off buttocks revealing boxer shorts is "awesome" and "vogue" look to copy?

Does wearing a shirt in the mode previously reserved for pajama tops really look "spiffy" and well dressed, or does it suggest person is simply lazy and rolled out of bed late?

Give the man some credit . . . he is consciousness enough as to his appearance to select and tuck in an appropriate sized shirt!

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Seluv
Maybe someone can explain to me, but what is "wrong" with the clothing Steve Jobs wears now? He actually looks very neat, with: a black mock turtleneck and jeans, both of which fit! Why do people now believe baggy hospital gown style scrub shirts and oversize jeans where leg bottoms drag along on the ground at feet and waist drapes off buttocks revealing boxer shorts is "awesome" and "vogue" look to copy? Does wearing a shirt in the mode previously reserved for pajama tops really look "spiffy" and well dressed, or does it suggest person is simply lazy and rolled out of bed late? Give the man some credit . . . he is consciousness enough as to his appearance to select and tuck in an appropriate sized shirt!
No style. It's a lackluster uniform and this is a style forum.
steve_jobs_clothes_half.jpg
http://blogrizzard.blogspot.com/2008...bs-closet.html

Ziss

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRogers
That's this guy! Eat your heart out, Trump.

bill-gates-ad.jpg

What I love about this picture is that you can see he actually combed his hair to look that way.

ZackyBoy

Reaction score
Well since Jobs is a multi-billonaire I don't think he gives a **** what people think of his clothing style. He could wear a plaid robe and a velvet cape with a big J on the back everywhere and still be an alpha big timer.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Seluv
Maybe someone can explain to me, but what is "wrong" with the clothing Steve Jobs wears now? He actually looks very neat, with: a black mock turtleneck and jeans, both of which fit!

Why do people now believe baggy hospital gown style scrub shirts and oversize jeans where leg bottoms drag along on the ground at feet and waist drapes off buttocks revealing boxer shorts is "awesome" and "vogue" look to copy?

Does wearing a shirt in the mode previously reserved for pajama tops really look "spiffy" and well dressed, or does it suggest person is simply lazy and rolled out of bed late?

Give the man some credit . . . he is consciousness enough as to his appearance to select and tuck in an appropriate sized shirt!

Originally Posted by BB1
Sometimes I wonder if the Men's Clothing forum is divorced from reality.

Tucking in a shirt without a collar makes you look marsupialed. His jeans are hideous.

Checkerboard 13

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Punisher

Tucking in a shirt without a collar makes you look marsupialed. His jeans are hideous.

One person's opinion.

Seems to work for him (and I'd wager he's doing better than anybody on this board.)

Andrew.Wall62

Reaction score
Originally Posted by munchausen
When you're young, hungry and want to be taken seriously, you dress up. When you're old, rich, and want people to think ********* still works, you dress like you're 22.

This.

Andrew.Wall62

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Checkerboard 13
One person's opinion.

Seems to work for him (and I'd wager he's doing better than anybody on this board.)

He's talking about the clothes he wears, not how much money he has. He doesn't look well put together. If that guy wasn't the Steve Jobs we all know, but some guy walking down the road, you would immidiately notice how poorly he is dressed.

As to what a previous post said regarding a trend? amongst the extremely wealthy, I would agree in the sense that you really just don't give a **** when you have 250 Million in the bank. People take you seriously regardless of what you're wearing.

davewe

Reaction score
It isn't just that Jobs is a billionaire and doesn't care. BTW, I think he does care. His style comes from running two of the most successful, innovative, and yes, stylish companies in the world. Apple products and Pixar films are inexerably associated with Steve J. and in those 2 businesses style doesn't mean what it does on this forum. I work in the high tech industry and Steve's attire doesn't say "I'm rich and don't care" it says "I'm a creative, innovative engineer and I have a great new toy for you to play with." And the Hollywood wardrobe? Look at what creative movie people (other than actors) wear. Jeans and t-shirts. If you're a screenwriter and walk into a meeting in a suit - your dead meat. So his attire, his style is deliberate and it works for his audience.
Originally Posted by Andrew.Wall62
He's talking about the clothes he wears, not how much money he has. He doesn't look well put together. If that guy wasn't the Steve Jobs we all know, but some guy walking down the road, you would immidiately notice how poorly he is dressed. As to what a previous post said regarding a trend? amongst the extremely wealthy, I would agree in the sense that you really just don't give a **** when you have 250 Million in the bank. People take you seriously regardless of what you're wearing.

Checkerboard 13

Reaction score
Originally Posted by davewe

So his attire, his style is deliberate and it works for his audience.

Exactly.
I doubt one could name a more calculating individual, nor one whose business is more dependent on design.
Does anyone actually think he fell into this particular wardrobe by accident? (And by accident happened to have enough of the same clothing on hand to be able to wear the same outfit every day?)

What he wears works for him, and you can be sure that he has chosen it for that purpose. It is a costume, or a uniform, if you will, but he uses it to achieve his purposes.

As for the exceptionally wealthy not having to care, that is true, in a manner of speaking. They do not have to care whether they are living up to sartorial "rules" because they can write their own rules. They usually do not have a boss to look good for, nor a work group to have to fit in with, and most (though not all) either already know how to dress for a specific occasion, or have consultants who take care of details like that for them. (I don't believe you will find Mr. Jobs in his jeans at a black tie affair.)

It is amazing, if one thinks of it, that stylistic trends touch so many aspects of clothing, including even the humble blue jeans. (And of course like any other garment, jean fashion comes and goes.. I remember a brief moment in history when Jordache was the height of style.)

I am curious, and I don't ask this to be contentious, but out of outright curiosity, what exactly do people find un-stylish about Steve Jobs' wardrobe, and why? I'd love to know the specifics: not just "his jeans" but what aspects of his jeans.. cut? ..fabric? ...fade? And exactly why is that aspect unfashionable?

laphroaig

Reaction score
I'm betting that Jobs, just like Bono, and all the other older famous rich fellas has a stylist. And what he wears on stage for his presentations is chosen for him. The whole thing is a very rehearsed act.
1197362980708_258.jpg
steve_jobs_630px.jpg
steve_jobs_wozniak_apple_computer.jpg
0444_20innova.jpg
steve-jobs-apple-41171_463_800.jpg
stevejobs070625_2_560.jpg
stevejobs19751.jpg

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The man looks like an IT guy from silicon valley, probably the complete antithesis of steez if ever there was one. People seem to forget that just because a man is rich doesn't mean that he is always right.

zorglubb

Reaction score
when he is presenting a new apple product he simply can not look better than the product

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads