• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im guessing you live in an EU member state and your butcher identifies which country the beef comes from? I'm really just curious about the logistics here. Do you prefer vaca vieja? Especially dairy cows? Thanks in advance.
I live in the UK. I buy from a relatively small butcher shop so I’d say it’s probably not too difficult for them to identify the country of origin.
What I generally get is indeed older grass-fed meat from ex-dairy cows (Galician, Simmental). The Galician is obviously from Northern Spain, but the Simmentals come from all across Europe like Germany, Finland, Netherlands (even Poland sometimes). Also some UK wagyu-angus cross, but that comes from much younger animals.

I find the older ex-dairy stuff often has a more concentrated flavour and firmer texture, and much better marbling. I like both really, but I’d say value for money is better on the older grass-fed stuff (vaca vieja).

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
79396C49-77A6-4FDB-9639-EA7557CF9C58.jpeg
3D1E2970-FBD5-42D3-9F46-1B87C3B058B2.jpeg

This seemed like it was worth setting a calendar reminder for.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I live in the UK. I buy from a relatively small butcher shop so I’d say it’s probably not too difficult for them to identify the country of origin.
What I generally get is indeed older grass-fed meat from ex-dairy cows (Galician, Simmental). The Galician is obviously from Northern Spain, but the Simmentals come from all across Europe like Germany, Finland, Netherlands (even Poland sometimes). Also some UK wagyu-angus cross, but that comes from much younger animals.

I find the older ex-dairy stuff often has a more concentrated flavour and firmer texture, and much better marbling. I like both really, but I’d say value for money is better on the older grass-fed stuff (vaca vieja).
Thanks! I thought I would have more questions but this covers everything.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I find it interesting that while I was living in the EU recently you can easily source meat from other regions at your local butcher and everything is identified, even at restaurants specializing is beef, you choose your country of origin.

Now that I'm back stateside, there is barely a local butcher anywhere outside of the grocery store, and unless I go to Wegman's I can barely even call those people butchers.

Also there is no origin for the beef, it's just beef in the meat case, take it or leave it

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My parents are retiring so we celebrated.

They had 60 day dry aged ribeye (phenomenal) i had the steak frites sub onion rings because my dad got a side of fries.

20210515_183503.jpg
20210515_183419.jpg

Not pictured: deserts (fine but i preferred the desert wines) seafood tower and sides (roasted mushrooms seasonal carrots creamed spinach).

It's crazy how steakhouses are temples to meat but the sides are what really do it.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Okay, I did reverse sear last night on a 2.75 inch thick cut of wagyu NY strip. I salted the steak the night before and let it sit uncovered in the fridge.

The sear was indeed far more efficient than when done the traditional way: only 45 seconds needed per side, versus ~2 minutes.

But, I must have done something wrong! Came out much worse than when I do it traditionally (sear first followed by oven finish), with an egregious amount of well-done, tough banding.

Help.

459DE97E-952A-4ADB-BFD8-A990E6A2DEE9.jpeg

7096967B-D831-4193-8677-701B207FF94A.jpeg

1EAF85AC-89A8-4C7F-AC24-272BEE8C7AB4.jpeg

Last edited:

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
200F. About 45 minutes.

I think something is off. An almost 3 inch steak shouldnt get to temp that fast. Do you have an oven thermometer? Maybe your oven runs at low temps? Assume you aren’t using convection.

edit: i just looked at kenji’s time appx for 1.5 inch steaks at 250. It would also make it seem your oven is too hot.

0AE2DB78-EF55-4886-8A40-5B503666060B.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads