• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Statistics on clothes buying habits of the French

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These numbers are from an issue of "Le point" (jan. 13, 2005) that featured a long article on "a day in France" that gave numbers about everything from the amount of calories a French citizen eats a day, to how many baby boys and girls are born each day, or else how much the state's debt costs in interest per day. There are approximately 60 million inhabitants in France. My translation of the section about clothing:

In 2002, The French purchased 87 123 shirts and 76 712 pairs of jeans per day. French women bought 279 452 pairs of stockings or pantyhose in 2003. According to a study by the IFM (Institut francais de la mode), women spend 1.50 euro a day to dress themselves, whereas men spend 1 euro, and spending for children's clothing total .49 euro. The younger, the more money is spent on clothing: 15-25 year olds: 2.20 euros per day for clothing, over 35 years old, 1.50 euros. Undergarments? They cost 6.8 million euros per day to the French. A woman thus spends an average of 27 centimes of a euro. (...) The French buy daily 884 931 pairs of shoes, of which 109 589 are sports shoes. It costs them 21.9 million euros per day.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These figures seem weird. That figure about shoe purchases would mean that every living human in France, from babes in arms to seniors in homes bought an average of five pairs of shoes a year. At an average clothing expenditure of one euro per day, it would seem that they would have very little money for any other apparel.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would've thought that French women buy fewer but more well-made pieces of clothing than American women. I also would've thought that the clothing that French women buy, despite it's haute-timeliness, would be more enduring fashion. I also would've thought that, in the consumption of fashion, the one place that French women would've consumed more, is clothing accessories like scarfs, etc.

november

Reaction score
Stats are weird inded. Sometimes an average doens't tell one much as the French could dress from low-end CÃ
00a9.png
lio to Hermès.
365 euros a yr for the average French man for clothes, I wonder how much the average American or the British spends.
That would be easier to put into perspective.

I would think the French spends less than the British.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes an average doens't tell one much as the French could dress from low-end CÃ
00a9.png
lio to Hermès.
365 euros a yr for the average French man for clothes, I wonder how much the average American or the British spends.
That would be easier to put into perspective.

I would think the French spends less than the British.
This is what the whole lengthy article was missing: perspective. And each category left me with more questions than useful answers. It was fun overall nonetheless. I would think they figured tourists in the equations, as I don't know how they might have separated "the French" as opposed to "the foreigners", which necessarily would somewhat falsify the numbers, given France's huge tourism industry.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads