• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Split Toe Derby

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dark Oak Dover is one of my favorite pair of shoes ever!! There is just something about the Dover which looks incredible even compared to G&G Isham.

It really does! Were those from Brooks Brothers? Know they used to have it on 888.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
oh I remember, didn't have time to go that time...

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about Xibao and ACME to state differences. Others with more experience can speak to that. However, considering Medallion has a big investment in the company (as revealed by @aj2603) that may have something to do with their pricing strategy.

Information concerning the factory ACME is utilizing to produce their shoes should shed some light on their end product.

I think it’s good strategy on their part. They price all their shoes in the 1000 plus USD category

eg. they sell Meccariello Starting from 1100 USD. G&G is around 1200-2000 USD. StC is about 1500 USD

so having a house brand which they can say offers the highest quality or better quality than the above brands will help them push more shoes with their existing customers

their existing customers r willing to spend 1000 USD plus on shoes. And that’s the market they r working in

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought they carry cheaper stuff too? Like I remember they had 2 AM line, one was way cheaper and the other one was HW (the $1.1k one you mentinoed)

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it’s good strategy on their part. They price all their shoes in the 1000 plus USD category

eg. they sell Meccariello Starting from 1100 USD. G&G is around 1200-2000 USD. StC is about 1500 USD

so having a house brand which they can say offers the highest quality or better quality than the above brands will help them push more shoes with their existing customers

their existing customers r willing to spend 1000 USD plus on shoes. And that’s the market they r working in

I suppose that would make sense that they value their product so highly. I would suggest, relative to their competition, they remain an unknown commodity.
I would even argue because of their unfamiliarity to the public, specifically pertaining to end product, they are priced too highly.

I guess we will just have to wait and see what the market dictates with regards to the receptiveness of their product compared to their direct competitiors.

What would be useful information to know is what inherent characteristics do their shoes possess that would make a consumer select their product over a similarly priced known commodity. Additionally, they have myriad competitors priced lower, whilst offering similar product specifications.

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose that would make sense that they value their product so highly. I would suggest, relative to their competition, they remain an unknown commodity.
I would even argue because of their unfamiliarity to the public, specifically pertaining to end product, they are priced too highly.

I guess we will just have to wait and see what the market dictates with regards to the receptiveness of their product compared to their direct competitiors.

What would be useful information to know is what inherent characteristics do their shoes possess that would make a consumer select their product over a similarly priced known commodity. Additionally, they have myriad competitors priced lower, whilst offering similar product specifications.

Exactly this. Without any brand to build on I can’t see people at least outside of China paying that amount for a Chinese made shoe. If they had a highly regarded bespoke shop that has now expanded into rtw maybe..but doesn’t appear there’s anything of that nature going on....

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly this. Without any brand to build on I can’t see people at least outside of China paying that amount for a Chinese made shoe. If they had a highly regarded bespoke shop that has now expanded into rtw maybe..but doesn’t appear there’s anything of that nature going on....

If there is a logical reason to select their product, at this price, I would certainly like to hear it. I'm always open to a high quality product.

Probably a discussion best reserved for the Chinese thread. More people may be aware of the qualities that ACME shoes possess, and can state them there.

Last edited:

gte872h

Reaction score
I've got one in mink suede, but something about the way DOAK looks... maybe you are right. This seems like a solid substitute though.

Let us know what you think of the pig skin after you wear it a while. I’d like to hear your thoughts. Did you buy them from nishant by any chance? Saw his pair for sale for about 3 minutes before someone snatched them up.

One great substitute for an EG Dover is having a pair made by Nicholas Templeman. My coming pair will be a bit more JM Weston Chasse inspired though. ?

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let us know what you think of the pig skin after you wear it a while. I’d like to hear your thoughts. Did you buy them from nishant by any chance? Saw his pair for sale for about 3 minutes before someone snatched them up.

One great substitute for an EG Dover is having a pair made by Nicholas Templeman. My coming pair will be a bit more JM Weston Chasse inspired though. ?
Will do!

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Haha that's not a substitute. The Dover is a substitute for the Templeman ??.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
usually I'm not into italian split toe, but this looks very good

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads