1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Spain Trip.

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by whnay., Feb 21, 2010.

1. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Well-Known Member

Ah, the American obsession with 'service' [​IMG]

In Yurp we live & let live.

[​IMG]

You have now convinced me that you are one of the thankless reviewer minions of the Michelin Guide.

- B

2. Guero

Guero Well-Known Member

Thread update.

Going to San Sebastian for 4 days for some sun and food. Mugaritz and Arzak in addition to a pinchos tour is on the schedule. Any other places worth checking out?

Sounds like you've got the food covered. For art, check out the Chillida sculptures. For a view, climb the hill at the eastern entrance to the bay at sunset. Pretty spectactular to watch the boats coming in.

Buen provecho!

3. *Tee*

*Tee* Well-Known Member

I'm a Media Economics student and will spend a semester abroad at one of our partner universities in Barcelona as of April-1th next year, if I perform well and if all goes smoothly. If their wasn't such a mad dash for it and if the waiting list wasn't that long, I already would have gone this year and would probably chillax in "my" beautiful finca in an affluent suburb ( San Cugat del Vallès ) right now, munch some tapas, have a few glasses of the finest Gran Reserva and let things sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide. I miss Spain. I haven't been there since exactly 6 years by now...

4. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Well-Known Member

I remember when my parents and I drove to the Costa del Sol back in the late 70s, san sebastian was a brief stop after we crossed the border and I only have memories of a shithole town... It looks like things have changed a lot in 35 years.

!luc

5. radicaldog

radicaldog Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

You have now convinced me that you are one of the thankless reviewer minions of the Michelin Guide.

- B

Rather, each reviewer minion is one of us.

6. Advent

Advent Well-Known Member

7. Xericx

Xericx Well-Known Member

Do you know if La Tomatina, the tomato throwing festival is worth going to?

http://www.latomatina.org/

I'm thinking of doing it in 2011 ,but I wanted to do 10 days.....this will eat up 2-3 days in Valencia, not sure if its worth it or should I do Ibiza instead....I'd probably have more fun at the Tomato festival personally.

8. Luc-Emmanuel

So, how did the Spain trip go?
    !luc

9. whnay.

whnay. Well-Known Member

It was wonderful. Stayed at the Villa Soro for three nights - probably the best hotel I've ever stayed in - it felt like you were in someone's private home.

First day - guided pinchos tour of the city - hit up about 10 places, incredible diversity of food.

Second day - laid out at the beach most of the day, pinchos for lunch. Zuberoa for dinner - second best meal of the trip (second only to Ambroisie). Bottle of Rioja, rabbit ravioli, baby lamb with creamed potatoes, and apple tart with cinnamon ice cream.

Third day - guided tour along the coast and into France. Lunch at a few random spots in a medieval town. Dinner at Arzak - 10+ courses spanning across all types of food, bottle of Rioja. Good (would likely go back) but not great.

10. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

Four of the top ten restaurants in the world are in Spain (3 in Catalunya).

www.theworlds50best.com/awards/1-50-winners

No.2 - El Bulli
    No.4 - El Celler de Can Roca
    No.5 - Mugaritz
    No.9 - Arzak

El Bulli closed down last year

11. Luc-Emmanuel

Thanks whnay. This sounds like a terrific trip! I will have to eat at the ambroisie one day, it's not like it's a far trip to undertake...
    !luc

12. whnay.

whnay. Well-Known Member

Thanks whnay. This sounds like a terrific trip! I will have to eat at the ambroisie one day, it's not like it's a far trip to undertake...
    !luc

It was very good but ungodly expensive.

13. Luc-Emmanuel

It was very good but ungodly expensive.
    Yes, it looks like it's a minimum of 300€ per person, which is more expensive than a lot of other three stars in Paris.
    !luc

14. whnay.

whnay. Well-Known Member

Yes, it looks like it's a minimum of 300€ per person, which is more expensive than a lot of other three stars in Paris.
    !luc

My bill for two with wine was close to 1000EUR. I nearly fainted.

15. ErnestoG.

ErnestoG. Well-Known Member

I actually found it a hard place to eat. As a solo traveler, in a place where everywhere wanted to feed me tapas, I was like 'OK, so option A...i buy a plate of olives and eat a bunch of olives and am now full on olives alone, or option B, I buy nine different dishes, eat one thing from each plate, am now full, and a hundred euro poorer, and watching the uneaten ninety euro of that be scraped into the trash'.

Not a cuisine set up for those traveling alone!

This is really true. I lived in Sevilla for around 9 months. Nothing in spain is set up well for the solo traveller. Sure patatas bravas are good but a big tapa is a little much for one person and you end up feeling like you are going to die from all the mayo.

There is also very little mid-range food at night if you dont want tapas. The best deals are during the day and offered at lunch.