• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some shoe guidance.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've searched the archives here and read a bunch of old threads regarding the question I have. Not sure I've exactly got the information I was looking for from them. I work in a creative industry where the dress is expected to be quite casual and my wardrobe is more street wear oriented or at best business very casual.

I recently picked up a vintage pair of longwings on a whim and found that I really like the way they looked but they simply do not fit. Looking around for a replacement pair I see that most of the shoes are leather soled and I commute by foot probably an hour total daily.

I've seen a pair of RL longwings with a slimmer rubber sole as well as a Trickers and soles that look like Vibram soles that I believe are "comando" soles. These would seem to be the best option for a welted longwing that will be walked in for durability. I've looked at a few more walking oriented shoes but they simply haven't worked for me stylistically.

Any suggestions for a versatile goodyear welted brown casual oriented dress shoe that can handle a few miles?

Thanks.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like longwings but the pair you have don't fit, why don't you get a pair of longwings that fit?

robdpittman

Reaction score
Leather soles can handle nearly as many miles as rubber. Vibran is seemingly indestructible, but I find they feel very odd to walk on. But then again, I am used to leather soles.

My issue with rubber is that if ones gait isn't perfect (and nobodys really is) then rubber can easily become worn unevenly, causing the soles to slope in one direction or another. While leather eventually will wear through, it will not wear unevenly.

I just replaced the soles on a pair of shoes a couple of weeks ago, after 6 years of continual wear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads