• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Solid Navy 38R suit in the NYC area.

stumy

Reaction score
I've got a solid navy 38R Brooks Brothers fitgerald that I think is quite nice. I purchased it last summer, but Brooks Brothers might one or two laying around.

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah Brooks' website has the Fitz and Madison solid navy in 38R and a nice solid navy herringbone Regent in 38R. Nothing on sale at the moment, and they either haven't yet introduced their line for this season or haven't updated their website because the selections are pretty slim at the moment.

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
How much was the MTM (or was it bespoke?) suit you got from Martin Greenfield, if you don't mind saying?

Price for an MTM suit generally starts at $1200. They are not necessarily open to the public, though.

Reaction score
I just ordered a pair of pants from the same line and make of my navy blazer. The pants were discounted and the shipping was free, so I figured I'd try and see if the fabrics match. If not, it was worth a try.

While we're on the topic of navy suits, is it unreasonable to try and wear burgundy colored cap toes with a navy suit? Brown tends to be the typical choice but burgundy seems a little more subtle. Do the colors mesh well? Does it just depend on the shirt/tie combination? Thoughts?

Ringo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ziggysnorkel
RLPL and BL never seem to go on sale in solid navy as well.

An SA told me that solid navy and charcoal gray do not go on sale. I don't know if it's a "never" or "rarely," but I certainly didn't see any on sale when I was there a couple of weeks ago.

However, I did see a navy RLBL suit which has very subtle thin navy "stripes" on it. If I were to describe it, it was basically a navy suit with stripes made out of navy thread. The stripes are visible more as texture versus being obvious pinstripes. This is particularly true when looking at it from a non-up-close view, as it looks like slightly raised navy thread. Up close, the hairline stripes appeard to have little specks of a lighter color... not sure if it was blue, white, cream, or gray. Kinda looked like dust particles, but I don't think they were. Regardless, the stripes were not loud at all, and I really liked the texture they provided to the fabric. Definitely a beautiful suit, and one that is about as close to solid navy as you can get. Don't know if any are still available, but it was priced around $560 + tax during that 30% sale that was going on (retail was $1900 or so).

It might be worth checking with your RL store to see if any of the stores have a 38 in stock. I think it's the best "almost solid navy suit" you can get, particularly if that price is still available.

DeWheat32

Reaction score
I tried on a duncan quinn solid navy suit a couple days ago. It was on sale for 50% off and it was a three piece. I didn't like the people who worked their so I decided not to buy it.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
both the solid navy and charcoal Polo suits go on sale during the F&F events, normally for 30% plus the addition 15% kicker. this year, however, they were both slightly more than 40% off, and were available for an addition 30% off during a brief period.

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So in my final analysis of the LE Tailored Fit suit, I ended up rather unhappy. I actually like the fabric a lot, like the build quality, and like the very slim cut in the torso and legs. My problem with it is that the arms were far too short and the buttonholes already functional. In getting the arms extended to nearly fit me (still a little short), the working buttonholes were basicaly pushed about halfway up my arms, and the cuffs are now tight to the point that I cannot wear double cuffs with the suit.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
RLBL solid navy/charocal does go on sale, at least the last sale it did.

Originally Posted by Ringo
An SA told me that solid navy and charcoal gray do not go on sale. I don't know if it's a "never" or "rarely," but I certainly didn't see any on sale when I was there a couple of weeks ago.

However, I did see a navy RLBL suit which has very subtle thin navy "stripes" on it. If I were to describe it, it was basically a navy suit with stripes made out of navy thread. The stripes are visible more as texture versus being obvious pinstripes. This is particularly true when looking at it from a non-up-close view, as it looks like slightly raised navy thread. Up close, the hairline stripes appeard to have little specks of a lighter color... not sure if it was blue, white, cream, or gray. Kinda looked like dust particles, but I don't think they were. Regardless, the stripes were not loud at all, and I really liked the texture they provided to the fabric. Definitely a beautiful suit, and one that is about as close to solid navy as you can get. Don't know if any are still available, but it was priced around $560 + tax during that 30% sale that was going on (retail was $1900 or so).

It might be worth checking with your RL store to see if any of the stores have a 38 in stock. I think it's the best "almost solid navy suit" you can get, particularly if that price is still available.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first question I asked on this forum is why it's so hard to find a solid navy suit. Most suits I see in your average department store are black or charcoal gray. If there is a navy suit it is the type of navy that is almost black. Or pinstripe. Nothing wrong with pinstripe, mind you, but as someone who's tall and thin it's not the ideal choice.

This leads me to one place that you will find a solid navy suit, and that's H&M. A place that seems to draw mixed opinions on SF, but I think you'll find a solid navy suit, in your size there.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dr Huh?
The first question I asked on this forum is why it's so hard to find a solid navy suit. Most suits I see in your average department store are black or charcoal gray. If there is a navy suit it is the type of navy that is almost black. Or pinstripe. Nothing wrong with pinstripe, mind you, but as someone who's tall and thin it's not the ideal choice.

This leads me to one place that you will find a solid navy suit, and that's H&M. A place that seems to draw mixed opinions on SF, but I think you'll find a solid navy suit, in your size there.

Ralph Lauren Black Lable definitely has solid navy in 38R. Check the mansion, Barnyes New York, BG, Bloomingdale, Saks & Fifth, I mean they all carry it... same thing with other brands (even designer stuff like Gucci/Armani), it all depend on how much cash you want to burn. If you pay full retail, yes, definitely no problem finding solid navy in 38.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics