• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soft Shoulder RTW Suits

pitboss12

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

There was another thread that was titled soft shoulder suits but it was posted by a newb that turned out to be interested in slim fit suits. I figured I should start my own.

I'm looking for suggestions on RTW soft shouldered suits. Ideally, the suit would be 2 btn, single breasted with a center vent. I do have a bit of a time constraint hence the RTW. My budget is about $650. What do you suggest?

By the way, I had the interview from hell today where the chairperson of a department bashed me for 5 minutes about not having enough substantive experience. She ended by the session by saying how great I looked in my suit. Thank you styleforum!
worship.gif

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an Adriano & Sons sport coat that has a soft shoulder; I suspect that their suits would be similar...

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Center vent, soft shoulder, $650???? No brainer man, go to J. Press or Brooks. At Press that should get you into their entry or mid level suit, and at Brooks you can easily find a Brooksease for $600. A lot of 1818 suits are on sale for $598 as well, but I'm not familiar with the shoulder of the Madison model.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks and Press have, in general, abandoned the natural shoulder. The 1818 Madison has quite a bit of padding and the recent Press suits I've seen have enough to protect a linebacker.

Polo and Corneliani have very soft shoulders and are better made than Brooks or Press in my opinion.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unpainted huffheinz
Polo and Corneliani have very soft shoulders and are better made than Brooks or Press in my opinion.
+1

Blue Label signature suits are a good bet for a soft-shoulder, moderately-priced suit

billiebob

Reaction score
I bought a Press suit in 2005 and there is even less padding than Polo. Guess I won't be getting another one.

pitboss12

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unpainted huffheinz
Brooks and Press have, in general, abandoned the natural shoulder. The 1818 Madison has quite a bit of padding and the recent Press suits I've seen have enough to protect a linebacker.

I went to Brooks earlier this afternoon to do some recon for the upcomming sale. I noticed that most of the suits had a fair amount of padding in the shoulders.

I should have gone to RL down the street but didn't think of it. Thanks for the suggestions, any other labels?

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really? The New Haven Press has different stock, then, because most of the suits there are very soft. Polo Blue Label is a great natural shoulder suit, but is not $650 unless you get really lucky. The last time I looked at Brooksease, those had soft shoulders- do they not anymore?

Butters1

Reaction score
I like the "soft shoulder" look is there anything considered bad or out of style about it?
(Im actualy trying to find a soft shoulder overcoat but that is a differnt story)

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think the most accurate thing that can said about J. Press's jacket shoulders is that they vary. They appear to use several different makers and each delivers a slightly different product. Thus, while some of the jackets do have linebacker shoulders, others are much more natural and soft.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Butters1
I like the "soft shoulder" look is there anything considered bad or out of style about it?
(Im actualy trying to find a soft shoulder overcoat but that is a differnt story)

Quite the opposite. Soft shouldered jackets were everywhere in the spring collections. Expect to see a lot more of it next summer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads