• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sneakers With Tailoring: Yes, No, Maybe?

Sneakers With Tailoring: Yes, No, Maybe?

• No, never.

• Yes, it can be done tastefully.

• Not sure.

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Yea more like 99.99%
Don't know anyone around me (NYC) that dress well, other than the Armoury crew, J. Mueser group and a few.

these guys are who I look toward for inspiration. They really display that they are not new to clothes.

DCC8C7B9-D8F2-4DA4-BC89-C745DF763783.jpeg

60403CE8-A392-4484-855D-F1104415040C.jpeg
2B82852C-D2C8-4F89-8ACA-2DD0E89BE326.jpeg
C02AEFDA-6A2C-413C-B20C-85E5599E4254.jpeg

AEF506D7-9F30-4760-96E4-B251E770543D.jpeg

anything besides these looks and I view the wearer to be new to clothes and unable to make coherent and informed decisions.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yea more like 99.99%
Don't know anyone around me (NYC) that dress well, other than the Armoury crew, J. Mueser group and a few.

speaking of retail that dress well
haven’t step in BG for ages, 2nd floor guys used to dress well if not strict ish to rule, same with Paul Stuart tailoring floor guys (at least some of them)

RL were mostly too “uniform” to f it up

AgentGary

Reaction score
these guys are who I look toward for inspiration. They really display that they are not new to clothes.

View attachment 1675334
View attachment 1675335 View attachment 1675336 View attachment 1675337
View attachment 1675338

anything besides these looks and I view the wearer to be new to clothes and unable to make coherent and informed decisions.
Picture 1, it's Asian trend, looks coherent.
Picture 2, idk who that is, also he didn't cut the tag off the cuff?
Picture 3, Mossrocks, great guy.
Picture 4, idk who that is, wearing S&M probably not that advanced.
Picture 5, idk who that is, celebrities get dressed by their stylists anyway.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Picture 1, it's Asian trend, looks coherent.
Picture 2, idk who that is, also he didn't cut the tag off the cuff?
Picture 3, Mossrocks, great guy.
Picture 4, idk who that is, wearing S&M probably not that advanced.
Picture 5, idk who that is, celebrities get dressed by their stylists anyway.

these are all very very informed wearers of clothes.

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DWW generally tells people not to wear oxfords when they aren't wearing a suit because 95% of the guys don't know what the **** they are doing. How many guys in actual reality dress as well as Kamoshita or Andrea Sweinas?
I don't know, man. I heard a lot about language and coherence and historical norms and stuff. Is it now meant to be understood that both meaning and history change according to the person who is speaking? Like, people who dress well exist in a different universe, where things were worn differently in the Golden Age? Or maybe for them there was no Golden Age in the past, and they're actually creating it now. (Interesting theory...and about as sensical as any other explanation.)

What I want to hear is what those people are actually thinking when they use care and thoughtfulness to make nuanced exceptions. Like, what makes oxfords okay with some outfits but not others, to them. I'd like to hear someone walk us through that, from a good dresser's point of view. How else will the 95% ever figure out what the **** they're doing?

Or...maybe the guy selling the 'rule' also doesn't know what they are doing, and thus can't explain it any other way?

AgentGary

Reaction score
I don't know, man. I heard a lot about language and coherence and historical norms and stuff. Is it now meant to be understood that both meaning and history change according to the person who is speaking? Like, people who dress well exist in a different universe, where things were worn differently in the Golden Age? Or maybe for them there was no Golden Age in the past, and they're actually creating it now. (Interesting theory...and about as sensical as any other explanation.)

What I want to hear is what those people are actually thinking when they use care and thoughtfulness to make nuanced exceptions. Like, what makes oxfords okay with some outfits but not others, to them. I'd like to hear someone walk us through that, from a good dresser's point of view. How else will the 95% ever figure out what the **** they're doing?

Or...maybe the guy selling the 'rule' also doesn't know what they are doing, and thus can't explain it any other way?
There isn't that much thought when dressing at a higher level. Effortless = elegance. Thinking too much = try hard.
You can listen to Mark Cho explain his train of thought, or ask him when he live streams on YouTube again.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score

What I respect most about agent Gary is that he just joined this board 4 weeks ago but is already completely up to date on the DWW lexicon and talking points.

instant fan I guess.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I actually looked it up in an old British Book, no such rule exists!!!!

I have come to the conclusion that SF is really a reaction against "style blogs" and stupid YouTube channels, here at SF you can see cool outfits that real people with real jobs actually wear!!!

Sure there are a few "Billy Bullshitters" trying to flog you a dead horse with their "endless links/rules and regulations" but the reality is if they were any good they would either be tailors or designers and not wannabe celebrities!!!

Last edited:

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There isn't that much thought when dressing at a higher level. Effortless = elegance. Thinking too much = try hard.
You can listen to Mark Cho explain his train of thought, or ask him when he live streams on YouTube again.
I love all the ways we have to torture the argument just to beat one ounce of sense out of it. Study the past, look at pictures, learn what connotations things have, do your homework, enrich your vocabulary...unless you really want to get good, in which case ignore it all.

I mean, we now seem to be at the point where we're saying not to pay attention to how good dressers dress. That, my friend, is the strategy of a loser. Call it playing it safe or whatever else you like...but it's the self-defeating strategy of a loser.

I have no doubt that Mark Cho would never wear oxfords with a sportcoat. (He strikes me as much more at home in loafers at any rate, so I doubt he'd even be tempted.) So I wouldn't be interested in his own thought process. Rather, I'd be interested in hearing him explain why it doesn't seem to bother other people.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I love all the ways we have to torture the argument just to beat one ounce of sense out of it. Study the past, look at pictures, learn what connotations things have, do your homework, enrich your vocabulary...unless you really want to get good, in which case ignore it all.

I mean, we now seem to be at the point where we're saying not to pay attention to how good dressers dress. That, my friend, is the strategy of a loser. Call it playing it safe or whatever else you like...but it's the self-defeating strategy of a loser.

I have no doubt that Mark Cho would never wear oxfords with a sportcoat. (He strikes me as much more at home in loafers at any rate, so I doubt he'd even be tempted.) So I wouldn't be interested in his own thought process. Rather, I'd be interested in hearing him explain why it doesn't seem to bother other people.

Here's the simple version. Don't buy clown shoes:

4124D42F-366C-40AB-BCAB-3E3C3367B334.jpeg
E8A768CB-1864-455B-8705-98F218F71909.jpeg
TonyII.jpeg
IMG_20200411_153625.jpeg

Don't dress like an Allen Edmonds ad:

d77ea74fe21a2f732a42e2bbb9108808.png
3334808_wine-fb.jpeg

Instead, go back to the basics. Take inspiration from this era of dress

tumblr_69cd50633a91b2d91b65946ca5ed350d_c0feb01d_1280.jpeg

Learn about the history of classic men's dress, the use of cloth and details, and how to dress in a more tasteful manner. Like this:

tdx003yt5.jpg

That may also, in some cases, include wearing oxfords with sport coats. But doing so successfully requires some knowledge. Many men who are just starting off do not look like Bruce below. Instead, they look more like the Allen Edmonds photos above.

Boyer-2-450x556.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads