• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim (280° welt) or Chunky (360° welt) Settle it, once and forever

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Certain of our beloved members here prefer 360° Goodyear welt shoes because they offer a more substantial appearance,
while other members insist that the slimmer 280° welt is the choice of the true afficianado.
It is time to settle the score, once and for all time in this poll.
Perhaps another poll can be which welt do you prefer with more choices, but this poll is to get a feel for what the majority prefer,
between slim and chunky.
Please choose one of the two options. Reasons and photos are welcomed and encouraged.
So then, how do you like your shoes? Slim and dainty? or meaty and manly?
Please choose, and discuss.

I'll start. I prefer 360°. I pound pavement and for durability alone, the 360° prevails.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes.

Seriously, there's room in the world, and in most people's shoe wardrobes, for both types. Both have their appropriate places, and both have their own charms.

And yes, I own both types and wear both types.

Lightbringer

Reaction score
I confess I could use some images to illustrate the difference. =( I have never quite grasped the distinction.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've never heard a shoe referred to as a "280 degree welt" shoe, but I get what you mean. Your term probably comes from the AE "360 welt" branding which is supposed to signify that AE's are well-made and recraftable. The welting on AE's goes around the entire shoe. On the other hand, the welting on C&J, Vass, EG shoes stops at the heel.

In spite of this, I think that the alleged "blobbiness" of AE's comes from the lack of beveled waists and the overall shape of the lasts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads