• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sleeve tailoring price question

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I picked up a couple fully canvassed Caruso suits from the Clad going-out-of-business sale that are pretty amazing! As I need to get the unfinished sleeves adjusted, I was just wondering what is a reasonable rate for this work by a good tailor? The best tailor I've found in central NJ is Alicja Maciejewicz (euro-tailoring.com) who's very good but also very expensive. To adjust the sleeves, create buttonholes, and sew on working buttons she charges $108 (per coat). That sounds high to me, but I am confident she would do an excellent job. Should I take them to her, or wait until I'm in NYC and take them to Mid City or someone else? Thanks in advance!
Fred

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$100 per coat does not seem that high to me for shortening the sleeves and creating working button holes.

If you are looking for a less expensive route, you could just shorten the sleeves without the expense of adding working button holes.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got such a great deal on the suits, I don't really mind spending the $$$ for working buttons. I was just wondering if the price was generally in line with what other tailors were charging since I've never had this type of work done before.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems about right.

I just had the sleeves on a suit with surgeon cuffs shortened, requiring the lowest button to be moved to the back of line, so to speak. The tailor charged $10 for each button/button hole and $10 per sleeve for a total of $40.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Handsewn or machine made buttonholes? Either way, it's not that bad. Although the machine made buttonholes doesn't take very much time at all for them to do, they had to buy the machine. The place I sometimes use charges $60 for machine buttonholes. It generally costs me $30-$35 to have my sleeves let out.

Also, if you haven't done it before with the tailor, have them show you sample buttonhole and make sure they match the thread to your existing buttonholes. My friend, against my advice, took a brioni sport coat to some tailor his mom uses and asked to have working buttonholes put on. For some reason they didn't shorten the sleeves (about 2 inches too long) and the buttonholes were not only very ugly but completely the wrong color.

Last edited:

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Handsewn or machine made buttonholes?

I'm not sure, I didn't ask. I was sort of assuming machine since about every sewing machine out there has a buttonhole setting.

The place I sometimes use charges $60 for machine buttonholes. It generally costs me $30-$35 to have my sleeves let out.

So $108 while maybe a bit high, is pretty much in line with the going rates.

Also, if you haven't done it before with the tailor, have them show you sample buttonhole and make sure they match the thread to your existing buttonholes.

Sounds like great advice, thanks!

Last edited:

Tailor Dan

Reaction score

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did the jackets come with the thread and buttons for the sleeve in any of the pockets as this old solve problem of having to ask them to match?

Yes, they both did. I'll take them to her later this week. Thanks for all the advice!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads