1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Skull Jeans by an Alchemist

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by kiya, Jun 8, 2008.

1. grundletaint

grundletaint Well-Known Member

I'm liking 'em post. They still have some stack going on. How tall are you, grund?

word. 6' tall.

2. mlyngard

mlyngard Well-Known Member

you might want to consider a preventive stitch reinforcement on the front pockets cuz they're prone to thread breakage when too tight. of course, a lot prefer them threads dangling anyways.

IIIrd - once again, you're on the mark. I was re-reading this thread, hunting for more info on the all-cotton thread isuse, and saw your post to me.

The pocket stitching is indeed unravelling. only on one pocket now, but...

So what's recommended for preventative stitching? I've already lost about 1" of a row of stitching on the left pocket. Should my tailor just go back over this area? Don't mind a visible repair job.

Other updates: Caught in a downpour, so hot soaked and hot dried my 0501 6x6. It softened them incredibly to a real supple fit. No more pain or fight in them. Seeing real personality come out of these now.

Questions:

Eyeing the 5507 next. Should I expect the same tight top-block fit?

Leg looks looser but leg opening looks to be about the same. Am I looking at a very different fit from the 0501?

3. mlyngard

these 5010s rule face. i went true to size. they hurt, they're stiff as fuck, and they are totally worth the discomfort and lack of mobility. me likey.

bonus points to their having started, within 1 day of purchase, 3 arguments about religion and a lesson on US trademark laws.

Best post ever on jeanworthiness.

4. aeglus

aeglus Well-Known Member

I'm getting close to wanting to retire my skulls. Deadlifts/squats are making it so that the waist is just too fucking tight if worn on my hips, and thighs are too tight if I don't wear them on my hips. Sucks because these jeans are pretty awesome otherwise.

5. Lachy

Lachy Well-Known Member

Aeglus, I say lay off the legs for a bit. The jeans are more important than your pins! Plus, it's winter there now, so it's pime time for those Skulls. Retire them in the spring.

Mylngard, 5507s should be looser in the thighs, but still taper like the 5010s. Sounds like the kind of fit aeglus needs now.

Mine are developing a hole in the crotch, it's small now and easily repairable ... If I ever get around to it. Had a few stitching issues too, easy fix if needed, but if it's not important I like to leave it be.

Now at 10 months.

6. mlyngard

I'm getting close to wanting to retire my skulls. Deadlifts/squats are making it so that the waist is just too fucking tight if worn on my hips, and thighs are too tight if I don't wear them on my hips. Sucks because these jeans are pretty awesome otherwise.

You have the 5010 in 29s or 30s Aeglus? Either way, you may have a buyer with me. PM me if you decide to sell.

Mylngard, 5507s should be looser in the thighs, but still taper like the 5010s. Sounds like the kind of fit aeglus needs now.

Mine are developing a hole in the crotch, it's small now and easily repairable ... If I ever get around to it. Had a few stitching issues too, easy fix if needed, but if it's not important I like to leave it be.

Now at 10 months.

Thanks brother.

7. jessetk313

jessetk313 Well-Known Member

Is there even anywhere to get a pair of Skull 5010 anymore? I know self-edge and BIG are sold out.

8. wahwho11

wahwho11 Well-Known Member

they have production issues

9. mlyngard

I hear re-stock is coming soon...

10. mlyngard

Reviving this. Having worn the 5010s for a few months, am now thinking the 5507s will be a better fit. The 5010s are just too slim for my taste as an all-rounder (although great for a super-slim). Denim is great. Fading really well.

Can anyone verify that the 0507s are pretty much the same cut as the 5010s, just approximately .5" across wider in knee and thigh? Rise also looks to be .5 more pre-soak.

Those additional dimensions would be ideal. However, want to avoid a totally different cut (like a loose vintage/repro cut).

I'm just looking to get the 5010 proportions, but slightly roomier.

Comparisons? Fit pics of the 5507s?

11. aeglus

aeglus Well-Known Member

Tempted to get 5507s in size 30 once available. My 5010 are 29 and the waist never stretched enough to be comfortable, but I like the overall fit if it'd be a little more roomy. Plus let's be realistic, my KMWs aren't ever going to fade and Skulls fade amazingly.

12. mlyngard

Tempted to get 5507s in size 30 once available. My 5010 are 29 and the waist never stretched enough to be comfortable, but I like the overall fit if it'd be a little more roomy. Plus let's be realistic, my KMWs aren't ever going to fade and Skulls fade amazingly.

Agreed. Love the KMW, hate the way the top block is so loose vs. the rest of the fit. Major diaper ass, no lap fades, hands in pockets right away, etc.

Like you said (and I agree) if the 5010 top block were just .5" across roomier...but I love the fit at the hip, ass and most of the leg.

Am hoping for this with the 5507, just that it'll be slightly less snug...

Kiya today said the 5507 were 'significantly' looser. I've seen them described elsewhere as, quote: "Similar to the 5010 with slightly more room in the thigh and seat."

So am confused...want #2, not #1 ;-)

13. mlyngard

PS - only comparitive 'fit' pics I could find (Kiosk 78 in England):

looks possibly promising...(yet the 5010 seems somehow looser fitting than my experience)

5507:

[​IMG]

5010:

[​IMG]

14. Tarwater

Tarwater Active Member

I have a s31 in 5010 and 5507. I wouldn't call the difference between the two significant - at least, insofar that the 5507 still feels like a slim cut. The thigh area on my 5010s feels like the denim is almost painted on, and that's not so with my 5507s.

15. givemefive

givemefive Well-Known Member

The 5010 seems looser in those photos because the 5007 are cuffed and there for are less stacked.

I tried on the 5007 in the smallest size I could button and the thighs are a good bit bigger than my 5010 which are pretty painted on, straight slim, while the 5010 are like straight skinny. 5010 are my favorite cut out of all the Japanese brands I own though.

16. snuff_daddy

snuff_daddy Well-Known Member

I hear re-stock is coming soon...
    i got this email from fab four on 10/19

17. ToruOkada

ToruOkada Well-Known Member

If anyone is interested in some worn skulls, mine are up for sale or trade. See sig.

18. mlyngard

I have a s31 in 5010 and 5507. I wouldn't call the difference between the two significant - at least, insofar that the 5507 still feels like a slim cut. The thigh area on my 5010s feels like the denim is almost painted on, and that's not so with my 5507s.

Wow, thanks man. As an owner of both, your review goes a long way to settling my concerns about the 0507 fit being majorly different. In fact - the difference you describe is the sizing difference I'm looking for.

This from Gordon at BiG:

The Skull 5507 will give you a little more room all over, more like an inch as opposed to just 1/2" but the waist measure a little bigger so you could size down one for a 1/2" bigger fit all over.

i got this email from fab four on 10/19.

Heard from BiG and SelfEdge that 'about a month' at the beginning of November...

19. aeglus

aeglus Well-Known Member

Thinking 5507s in size 30 will fit me about right, just hope I actually have money when they actually come out again. Actually if the 5507s are half an inch bigger in the waist, 29s might work out for me but I'm too scared to get my nuts crushed again.

20. mlyngard

Thinking 5507s in size 30 will fit me about right, just hope I actually have money when they actually come out again. Actually if the 5507s are half an inch bigger in the waist, 29s might work out for me but I'm too scared to get my nuts crushed again.

Yeah. In the same boat myself. On the fence about sizing down or TTS. Right now, on my 5010,waist is perfect, legs too tight. Sizing down on the 5507 may be legs perfect, waist too tight.

Thinking I should just get one 30 and one 29 and try both. Rise is .5 more than the 5010, so I'm not worried for the jewels.

As for waist, SelfEdge sees to show that the waist dimensions are the same for both models. BiG is one size smaller for given size. Again, adds another question to the sizing issue.

For you in Korea, exchanges are a bit more of a pain in the arse though...(I imagine)