• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LThomsen

Reaction score
I have like 10 pairs of EB and 4 pairs of St. C at this point -- St. Crispin's is definitely a level ahead in terms of construction and materials. They're much more solid of a shoe/boot, they use more structuring. Their waists are much slimmer and the sole work is much better (the pegged waists are beautiful). Their CRU leather is thicker and much nicer than EB's standard calf leather. Finishing is also quite a bit nicer with typically a mirror shine on the toes and heel. On top of that you get no surcharge for MTOs, and a personalized last is rather cheap if you have non-standard feet. IMO they're the best at their price point in terms of value.
How do st crispins compare to Antonio Meccariello?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do st crispins compare to Antonio Meccariello?

If we are talking the Argentum Hand-welted, I would say that takes the nod over the StC.
Why? Leather quality. Period.
This is Antonio's bread and butter. The leather is the same as his bespoke leather quality. Meaning, you are paying for the same leather composition that I payed for when I purchased my Aurum's and Bespoke shoes from Antonio.

Build quality are pretty much the same. Moreover, you also have the option to do a last personalization, which StC also does, but Antonio's prices would be lower overall.
StC probably has the better arch support however.

Sooo...
Leather quality.... since bespoke level is utilized AM takes this, provided you purchase at least the Argentum Hand-welted.

Build quality..... equal with a caveat. The AM has handsewn soles, StC does not. The wooden pegged waist gives StC the better arch support. So again Push.

Customer service...... AM. From my experience StC tends to delay in answering queries. Having said that, Philip is amazing to deal with in person. Now if we say you are dealing with Skoaktiebolaget for your StC shoes, StC would then take the nod. Personally and IMO, no company compares to Skoaktiebolaget's customer service. They really go above and beyond. If you visit the store, those boys roll out the red carpet for you.

Styling....... StC has more aggressive lasts. AM has more modern stylish lasts. So we'd call this a push since this is completely subjective.

While it is very close, I would rather have the AM (Argentum Hand-welted or better) due to the leather quality (primarily) and handsewn soles (secondly).

Know this, StC provides you an ultra premium shoe. If you prefer their styling (Russian 575,633.. Yes personal bias coming out haha) you will not be disappointed. You can also rest easy in the fact you just purchased from arguably a top 5 shoemaker in the world! Make sure though that purchase comes from Skoaktiebolaget ?

Last edited:

AWu

Reaction score
I wont call StC having aggressive lasts... Just want to add they are quite different in style, and think twice on StC if you really ok with their leather - the crust leather is not up to everyone's taste.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wont call StC having aggressive lasts... Just want to add they are quite different in style, and think twice on StC if you really ok with their leather - the crust leather is not up to everyone's taste.

Definitely not aggressive in the traditional Hungarian sense of lasting. In all honesty, the StC is more refined than the EB.

However, when you compare it to an AM, the AM has more tapering which aesthetically makes the StC seem more robust.
I would suggest the AM last/shape would compare to the Paolo Scafora or G&G (which Skoaktiebolaget used to sell).

No question that the Crust leather is something that does not suit everyone's taste. Saying that, StC does have anilines.

sdfzs

Reaction score
While the majority of smooth calf leather coming out from StC seems to be crust the VNA (aniline) option is there. That being said pictures well worn VNA are few. I'm happy to take one for the team since i went to VNA on my last order :wink: Report back in 3-4 months or so ( to get some wear )

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

dangerous

Reaction score
@Leaves I sent an email a week ago and Olof said he would write back, but I saw the discussion elsewhere and figured I'd ask here as well so people don't have to ask.

Can you order an Enzo Bonafé belt alongside an MTO?
What's the cost?
Is there a surcharge for the leather if they match the shoes/boots?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads