1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Skoaktiebolaget – Carlos Santos, Enzo Bonafé, Saint Crispin’s, Paolo Scafora, Carmina, Rubinacci

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Leaves, Feb 27, 2013.

1. diadem

diadem Senior member

Quote:Yes, I understand that, but what I don't understand is why it can't be done in a group buy. Not trying to start an argument here, just looking for an explanation.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  2. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Senior member

-

3. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Quote: I suspect that it is because they only have 1 of each size for each last, and they like to make the shoes in batches to streamline the process. So if they make 2 pairs of 8.5 they can't do them at the same time because they only have one set of 8.5 for that last. The shoes stay on the last for a period of days, so it becomes an inconvenience.

I'm not an expert, this is just a suggestion for a possible reason. Maybe they do have multiple sets of the same size for each last, I don't know.

4. diadem

diadem Senior member

Quote:Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.

5. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

I am not sure it's really appropriate to take out frustrations for the policies we don't like on Skoak --- you are effectively asking them to speculate as to the shoemakers' reasoning or go back and ask them all to answer. I think that's asking too much.

6. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I for one truly appreciate the GMTO. It allows me to get an incredible pair of shoes with a very small number of participants needed, without the additional expense of MTO. If there is something I truly must have that does not work for a group setting then that additional one off upcharge is justifiable. I believe both offerings have their place and both pros and cons

7. diadem

diadem Senior member

Quote:It's wrong for me to even ask why? Well, that's news to me...

8. j ingevaldsson

No, they have loads of lasts in each size, and they make a number of pairs in the same sizes at the same time.
    Not really sure what the issue is for them not accepting it for GMTO but for single MTO, but like Sko-AB says, since they all have the same policy, there's probably some reasonable reason for it.

Agree.

9. Leaves

Leaves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Yes, I've always just figured it was a way to streamline production and did not dig further into this. I just got a reply from Dean Girling in regards of this though. This is what he says:

"The main reason being in production, is the extra time, to keep getting out patterns/markers for single pairs , and lasts further on in production, where’s when you have 5-10 pairs all the same, it makes life easier."

Please understand that we only follow our makers policy's, if you need further explanation I encourage you to contact the makers themselves. Don't kill the messenger so to speak. :D A lean production line often comes at a cost, in this case flexibility, but maintaining lean manufacturing adds value for the end consumer (or that's usually the goal at least).

10. diadem

diadem Senior member

Quote:Thanks for this. Just what I was looking for. Definitely makes sense from a production standpoint. I apologize if my posts came off as rude. It's just frustrating having these mismatched monsters attached to my ankles. I haven't ruled out doing a single MTO, by the way. I just have to rationalize that extra $100 or so that I will have to pay.

11. S K M

S K M Senior member

[quote name="diadem"
    Thanks for this. Just what I was looking for. Definitely makes sense from a production standpoint. I apologize if my posts came off as rude. It's just frustrating having these mismatched monsters attached to my ankles.

I haven't ruled out doing a single MTO, by the way. I just have to rationalize that extra $100 or so that I will have to pay.[/quote]

I see what you mean. However, I think when buying such expensive shoes as Skoak offer, the MTO fee is IMO a very small surcharge to get exactly what you want. On the other hand, if I engaged in a GMTO where I needed to negotiate some details, I think it would be rather expensive for getting a pair of shoes only almost as I wanted them, even though the MTO fee was saved. Hope this makes sense.

12. Skoaktiebolaget

Skoaktiebolaget Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Sorry, our mistake, the Blake is machine constructed.

13. eljlakers

eljlakers Senior member

14. j ingevaldsson

Thanks for the clarification Alexander!

15. Leaves

Leaves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

At this moment it's a pre-order only but we might order a few extra pairs for the store.