• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

diadem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Yes, I understand that, but what I don't understand is why it can't be done in a group buy. Not trying to start an argument here, just looking for an explanation.

Last edited:

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: I suspect that it is because they only have 1 of each size for each last, and they like to make the shoes in batches to streamline the process. So if they make 2 pairs of 8.5 they can't do them at the same time because they only have one set of 8.5 for that last. The shoes stay on the last for a period of days, so it becomes an inconvenience.

I'm not an expert, this is just a suggestion for a possible reason. Maybe they do have multiple sets of the same size for each last, I don't know.

Last edited:

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not sure it's really appropriate to take out frustrations for the policies we don't like on Skoak --- you are effectively asking them to speculate as to the shoemakers' reasoning or go back and ask them all to answer. I think that's asking too much.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I for one truly appreciate the GMTO. It allows me to get an incredible pair of shoes with a very small number of participants needed, without the additional expense of MTO. If there is something I truly must have that does not work for a group setting then that additional one off upcharge is justifiable. I believe both offerings have their place and both pros and cons

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suspect that it is because they only have 1 of each size for each last, and they like to make the shoes in batches to streamline the process. So if they make 2 pairs of 8.5 they can't do them at the same time because they only have one set of 8.5 for that last. The shoes stay on the last for a period of days, so it becomes an inconvenience.

I'm not an expert, this is just a suggestion for a possible reason. Maybe they do have multiple sets of the same size for each last, I don't know.

No, they have loads of lasts in each size, and they make a number of pairs in the same sizes at the same time.
Not really sure what the issue is for them not accepting it for GMTO but for single MTO, but like Sko-AB says, since they all have the same policy, there's probably some reasonable reason for it.

I for one truly appreciate the GMTO. It allows me to get an incredible pair of shoes with a very small number of participants needed, without the additional expense of MTO. If there is something I truly must have that does not work for a group setting then that additional one off upcharge is justifiable. I believe both offerings have their place and both pros and cons

Agree.

Last edited:

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I suspect that it is because they only have 1 of each size for each last, and they like to make the shoes in batches to streamline the process.  So if they make 2 pairs of 8.5 they can't do them at the same time because they only have one set of 8.5 for that last.  The shoes stay on the last for  a period of days, so it becomes an inconvenience.

I'm not an expert, this is just a suggestion for a possible reason.

Yes, I've always just figured it was a way to streamline production and did not dig further into this. I just got a reply from Dean Girling in regards of this though. This is what he says:

"The main reason being in production, is the extra time, to keep getting out patterns/markers for single pairs , and lasts further on in production, where’s when you have 5-10 pairs all the same, it makes life easier."

Please understand that we only follow our makers policy's, if you need further explanation I encourage you to contact the makers themselves. Don't kill the messenger so to speak. :D A lean production line often comes at a cost, in this case flexibility, but maintaining lean manufacturing adds value for the end consumer (or that's usually the goal at least).

Last edited:

diadem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Thanks for this. Just what I was looking for. Definitely makes sense from a production standpoint. I apologize if my posts came off as rude. It's just frustrating having these mismatched monsters attached to my ankles. I haven't ruled out doing a single MTO, by the way. I just have to rationalize that extra $100 or so that I will have to pay.

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[quote name="diadem"
Thanks for this. Just what I was looking for. Definitely makes sense from a production standpoint. I apologize if my posts came off as rude. It's just frustrating having these mismatched monsters attached to my ankles.

I haven't ruled out doing a single MTO, by the way. I just have to rationalize that extra $100 or so that I will have to pay.[/quote]

I see what you mean. However, I think when buying such expensive shoes as Skoak offer, the MTO fee is IMO a very small surcharge to get exactly what you want. On the other hand, if I engaged in a GMTO where I needed to negotiate some details, I think it would be rather expensive for getting a pair of shoes only almost as I wanted them, even though the MTO fee was saved. Hope this makes sense.

Skoaktiebolaget

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The Blake is also hand stitched. The only pro for the Blake in our opinion is the sleekness, like if you want a summer loafer, formal dress patent shoe etc.
Are you sure about this? I know you can replicate a Blake stitch by hand, but it's very hard and time consuming. I've never heard of any RTW/MTO maker doing it, and it's very rare among bespoke makers as well.

Sorry, our mistake, the Blake is machine constructed.

eljlakers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Leaves and Alexander,

Just wondering about the Manolo adelaide (http://www.skoaktiebolaget.se/collections/new-arrivals/products/pre-order-carmina-manolo). I know the pre-order closes this week - is this likely to be offered again at any point? I LOVE this shoe, but really can't justify picking it up right now! Any idea? Might it become a stock item that gets re-ordered periodically?

Thanks!
Eric

At this moment it's a pre-order only but we might order a few extra pairs for the store.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics