• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Skiing gear

J. Gatsby

Reaction score
Oakley, Descente, Orage, Phenix, etc... These will all vary in style, but as those above have said, don't buy without knowing what you're getting into

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As a qualified ski instructor, can I advise (beg!) you not to buy anything expensive for your first trip. You might hate it after your first day, and in any case there's nothing worse than that guy with £300 reflective-looking goggles (he's usually English, unfortunately); who at the beginning of the week doesn't stop talking about the specifications of his new fischers and the "anti-avalanche technology" of his expensive jacket, then turns out to be a complete spaz.

Don't bother with hard or soft shells - just an insulated jacket and trousers, layered underneath if the weather requires with ordinary t-shirts, hoodies, etc. Bear in mind that the guys who actually look best on the slopes are the French grandads wearing 3/4 length puffer jackets, who ski like gods. Not the guys wearing spyder.

Most importantly have fun - skiing is the best thing in the world. :)

Perfect reply. End thread.

Richard Pryor

Reaction score
This isn't my first trip. Last year, due to my clothes, I wasn't able to bang this cute Argentinian girl working on Heavenly Sky Resort. I had a borrowed jacket that looked like I was in the military, and had about 3 layers of cotton underneath it. She was like, "Seriously? You think you're gonna bang me looking like that?".

I don't want to make the same mistake this year. If The North Face or Helly Hansen is gonna get me laid, then that's what I'm buying even if it means I'll spend a bit more and be a little colder.

I'll only ski for 7-8 days a year, and I'll go to either Tahoe, Vail or Whistler. I don't think I'll experience severe weather. I will take the lift to the top of the mountain, but won't go back country or anything.

Not gonna skimp on the layers, though. I have some icebreaker Merino 260 baselayer on the way. Still doing my research on midlayers.

But, if The North Face logo means I'll bang the cute chick on the lodge, or the Australian working the lift, then the choice is obvious.

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, if it's getting laid you want then by all means splash out on Bogner that I mentioned. The label is conspicuous enough to get you noticed, and I think Bogner will pull you a higher level of bird than ski lift operator. Lasse Kjus is another top brand. NorthFace is entirely too common, you know. Aim higher, like snow bunny, who will be in the know about more prestigious brands.

And don't forget to purchase your apres ski kit too. You'll want a different look for each day you're there.

Last edited:

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This isn't my first trip. Last year, due to my clothes, I wasn't able to bang this cute Argentinian girl working on Heavenly Sky Resort..

Yes. Must've been the clothes. Absolutely.

antikantian

Reaction score

I'll only ski for 7-8 days a year, and I'll go to either Tahoe, Vail or Whistler. I don't think I'll experience severe weather. I will take the lift to the top of the mountain, but won't go back country or anything.

But, if The North Face logo means I'll bang the cute chick on the lodge, or the Australian working the lift, then the choice is obvious.

Aren't Tahoe and Whistler usually not that cold? I was at Whistler a few years ago, and wore a pretty insulated Spyder jacket with just a base layer, and by the end of a heli-ski trip I was completely drenched in sweat. It was also too hot for casual trail skiing. This winter I was at Arosa, which seemed a fair bit colder, and I was fine with just a base layer plus softshell. When I used my hard shell plus fleece, I was also overheating, and I'm not a sweaty person ordinarily.

Personally, I don't think clothes dripping with sweat is conducive to banging Australian hotties working the lift. Also, to me, The North Face is just as common as Nike; it's standard fare for 99% of college students in the winter. If you really want to be baller, just go for Bogner. My skiing partner picked up a Bogner jacket on our trip, and I have to say, it was pretty sweet. I thought about getting one also, but at over 2,000CHF, I figured that that money would be better spent on a bespoke sport coat, or some more Edward Green's. After all, why limit myself to luring hotties with my clothes only during ski trips :p

Last edited:

chrla336

Reaction score
Some quality manufacturers of hard shells (will last at least 3-4 years)

* Arcteryx
* Haglöfs
* Norröna
* Mammut
* North face
* Peak performance

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads