Skiing gear

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Richard Pryor, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Richard Pryor

Richard Pryor Senior member

I want to look fashionable when I go sky this next winter, and I think this is the best time to shop for sky clothes (summer).

I hear The North Face is a good brand. Any recommendations on what I should buy?

I wanna be the best dressed skier in the mountains this winter!

2. erk

erk Senior member

Do you mean Skyer?

3. Richard Pryor

I guess. English isn't my first language, so excuse my grammar.

4. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

I think he meant skiing. Even I am interested, since I intnd to visit the Alps this winter and maybe learn skiing but have zero suitable clothes for it

5. Unregistered

Unregistered Senior member

6. Richard Pryor

7. Yachting Man

Yachting Man Senior member

One of the best options for ski clothes is Spyder. I've been using their products for about six or seven years now and I'm very happy with my purchases.

8. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

Spyder is great ski gear. There are a ton of other brands. Get something that will keep you very warm as well as look good. Filson makes a great woolen sweater. It is one of the best I have ever worn. Its not really a ski sweater but you can get it in navy and it has a very nice profile.

9. Pembers

Pembers Senior member

As a qualified ski instructor, can I advise (beg!) you not to buy anything expensive for your first trip. You might hate it after your first day, and in any case there's nothing worse than that guy with £300 reflective-looking goggles (he's usually English, unfortunately); who at the beginning of the week doesn't stop talking about the specifications of his new fischers and the "anti-avalanche technology" of his expensive jacket, then turns out to be a complete spaz.

Don't bother with hard or soft shells - just an insulated jacket and trousers, layered underneath if the weather requires with ordinary t-shirts, hoodies, etc. Bear in mind that the guys who actually look best on the slopes are the French grandads wearing 3/4 length puffer jackets, who ski like gods. Not the guys wearing spyder.

Most importantly have fun - skiing is the best thing in the world. :)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011

10. Pembers

Pembers Senior member

Double post, sorry

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011

11. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

They ski in the UK?

12. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

This post contains "anti-avalanche technology".

13. curzon

curzon Senior member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti
    Heed pembers advice. Nothing screams poseur louder than someone kitted out in the top gear and who can barely snowplow.

Some folks are partial to the matching top and bottom suit, say from Bogner. I don't like that look too much on men. Plus, I like to maximize the use of my clothes, and a dedicated ski suit doesn't allow that. My wife has a really nice one that flatters her from Belfe & Belfe, and I recall it makes guy's gear too.

I like mixing it up w/ a thermal top, a white (looks best w/ my tan) cotton polar, a Dale sweater w/ the windstopper lining, and a goretex outer shelll. For pants a thermal layer, then fleece, topped by a goretex shell.

If you're looking for some cool vintage sweaters look for Obermeyer, Roffe and Demetre. I'd like to find the Mother Karen's powder jacket I had when I was a kid.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011

14. Pembers

Pembers Senior member

Well there are a couple of resorts in Scotland - which are open 2 weeks a year or something. I did it in Switzerland, though!

15. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Agreed, just come wearing some sort of waterproof pants/jacket and wool (can't stress this enough, cotton is not your friend here) socks. Truth be told, when you're falling all over yourself the first couple of days, you are definitely not going to want to be wearing anything that would make people look in your direction

As for The North Face, it's generally overpriced garbage. The Summit and Cryptic Series are good (and usually half again more than the competition unless you're looking into expensive ass progear) but most of the rest isn't worth it.