• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Simmons Black Label vs ??? - best mattresses???

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
in the market for a good replacement mattress and liked the feel of the highest end Simmons Black Label

anybody have any experience with them? do they last?

or any better alternatives?

http://www.beautyrestblack.com/history.html

Kalyn™
Learn More Support
•Variform Advanced Pocketed Coil™ Springs
•True Foam Edge
Comfort
•Pillow Top
•Fine Performance Fabrics
•Natural Latex Foam
•NxGÂ
00ae.png
Advanced Memory Foam
•High Performance Foams
•Modal Yarn Blended with Breathable Cashmere
•Transflexion™ Comfort Technology

Reaction score
I've seen the Black Series Simmons and they are super nice. My bed is very low profile and the mattress is too thick for my bed. I ended up getting the Simmons Beautyrest Classic with the plush top (not the pillowtop) and it's incredibly comfortable. Anytime I go out of town and return to my own bed, it's always vastly superior to everything else (even when I visit my folks and sleep in my old bed in their house).

A lot of reviews I read when I was shopping for mattresses complained about drooping of the mattress in the center. I noticed that too in mine, but I have a platform bed with planks that dip in the center.

I looked at Hastens mattresses and they are pretty nice too, but I don't remember much about them.

If you like the Black series, then go for it. I've been very happy with my Simmons for the last three years.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think that having pillowtops built in to the mattress is an inherently bad idea. I don't have a simmons black, but I have the next level down. My mattress alone was around 3k several years ago. It's really thick with a pillowtop. I loved it when I got it. It's still ok, but there is definitely more of an impression in than mattress than I would like. I've switched to the other side of the bed because of it. I tend to sleep on my side and the and it can be very uncomfortable for my knees because they bend laterally against the joint into the impression in the mattress when I'm on my side. Once the other side is gone i'll get rid of it. If you like the softness of a pillow top, you might try a firmer mattress with a removable pillowtop so that you can fluff it out and get rid of the impressions every once in a while.

The other thing I don't like about it is how hard it makes finding a good bed. I like modern beds and unfortunately I bought the mattress before a bed, not thinking about how hard it would be to find a decent bed after I selected such a thick mattress.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine a better mattress than a really good memory foam one. I purchased one a few years ago. I've never tried a better mattress.

Nice fabrics on a mattress and pillow tops are gimmicks. You use sheets and pillow tops flatten out.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
I can't imagine a better mattress than a really good memory foam one. I purchased one a few years ago. I've never tried a better mattress.

Nice fabrics on a mattress and pillow tops are gimmicks. You use sheets and pillow tops flatten out.

Ya, I totally agree about the fabrics on a mattress. Most people put a mattress cover on it anyway. I think the black line is very gimmicky. The basic construction seems the same as their regular top of the line.

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy

the Simmons Black label has memory foam in it which is one of the reasons it's so good

anybody else?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you married or in a long-term relationship? If not, spending four figures on a bed is a waste of money, because there is a good chance that a future partner will not like it. Actually, spending four figures on a bed is probably a waste of money in any event -- the marginal differences in comfort as you go up in price are very, very slight. I own a Simmons Beautyrest Class plush top as well (essentially the Westin Heavenly Bed without the pillowtop, which made the bed too soft for me), and I like it a lot. Got it for around $800 at Macy's.

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Are you married or in a long-term relationship? If not, spending four figures on a bed is a waste of money, because there is a good chance that a future partner will not like it. Actually, spending four figures on a bed is probably a waste of money in any event -- the marginal differences in comfort as you go up in price are very, very slight. I own a Simmons Beautyrest Class plush top as well (essentially the Westin Heavenly Bed without the pillowtop, which made the bed too soft for me), and I like it a lot. Got it for around $800 at Macy's.

I'm getting married next year and the fiancee likes that bed so that's why I'm doing it (she's tall so we need the extra space)

the price on the street starts at -50% off and goes down to -70% off, so it will be ~$3k all in for an Eastern King with box spring

if it lasts 10 yrs, which it should, then it's $300/yr for a good night's sleep which I think is reasonable

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From the brief research I've done, a lot of people seem to like a quality latex mattress more than memory foam. They aren't cheap either.

It doesn't retain as much heat which may be an important consideration for anyone living in a hot climate.

Also, I find that sex on memory foam kind of sucks. It doesn't provide a good surface for "leverage".

jenlain

Reaction score
Look into the Royal-Pedic all cotton mattress. Similar in price to the nicer store brands, but much higher quality.

summej2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
From the brief research I've done, a lot of people seem to like a quality latex mattress more than memory foam. They aren't cheap either.

It doesn't retain as much heat which may be an important consideration for anyone living in a hot climate.

Also, I find that sex on memory foam kind of sucks. It doesn't provide a good surface for "leverage".

Yes on all counts. We have a memory foam mattress for the guest room and people like it for a few days, but the disadvantages are as above.

Latex, and naturally derived latex is much nicer. Our interlubke bed had their latex mattresses on it originally and when we needed a replacement we had LifeKind in California make one from natural latex and wool. I would guess anything from them will be at least in the low four figures, but probably well worth it (certainly in our experience).

alexei

Reaction score
I don't have experience with a Simmons Black Label, but I own a Stearns & Foster Golden Elegance Ultra Plush Boxtop mattress which sounds pretty similar. The MSRP is like $8950, but they sell at a minimum of 50% off that. I absolutely love it. It's super soft, but still firm enough so you're not "sinking" into it. There is minimal heat retention from the memory foam; no indentations in mine. One website says it has a life expectancy of 25 years. It is excessively tall though. You'll need 24" deep sheets. It seems comparable so you might want to test it out too.

http://www.beddingexperts.com/stearns_golden.php

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I purchased a beautyrest black in January and have been very happy with it. So many mornings when I wake up and can just lay there not wanting to move an inch because I am so comfortable. It's good stuff.

Vugal

Reaction score
I have no experience with the Black Label by Simmons, but do have with a Sterns & Foster pillow top, and I liked that very much, but now we have a Tempurpedic, and I would not trade it in for any other mattress in the world. I no longer wake up with any aches, like i was with the last mattress. And yes, we flipped it regularly and took excellent care with it. I also use a tempurpedic pillow that "SLEEPY"S" threw in for my husband and I when we bought this mattress.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads