• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Silk fabric help

ogduncan

Reaction score
Im looking for silk fabric for making ties. Any help would be great. I love the Talbott ties but i need extra long ones made.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was there not talk some time ago by one of the tie makers on SF to market a tie making kit, from soup to nuts?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
samhober.com may be what you're looking for. fourinhand.com also sell extra long ties.

Originally Posted by ogduncan
Im looking for silk fabric for making ties. Any help would be great. I love the Talbott ties but i need extra long ones made.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Where are you located?
At the moment Several of the fabrics store in NYC(Rosen and Chaddick,Beckenstein, Mood) have beautiful silks "very similar" to the type of silk used by robert Talbott.
John Kochis in NYC can also make you ties from the same type of silk.

Lee Allison in chicago could also make some x-long ties.

Lastly, Fabric Mart in in Pennsylvania has a website http://www.fabricmartfabrics.com/con..._id=143&page=1
this is just a small assortment. there is plenty more. contact them.

You can always contact me if you are interested in buying several hundred yards of this sort of fabric!!!

Carl

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When time allows we plan on making a tie kit. At the moment we have a new baby boy due to arrive around New Years and are busy.... Ogduncan, With that said our silks tend to be more traditional and conservative than Talbotts. I would not plan on making your own tie unless you want to make it a hobby as it will take some time to get it right. Extra long ties are usually available online if you look around. If you have some time to wait we could you make you a tie in any length, width or construction.
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Was there not talk some time ago by one of the tie makers on SF to market a tie making kit, from soup to nuts?

ogduncan

Reaction score
Actualy Sam Hober i was going to send you the silk to make the ties if you are up to it. I had already looked at your site and I didnt really fall inlove with any of the ties. They are like you said a little more traditional and conservative and I already have a bunch of those.

Shirtmaven I live in Naples FL

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ogduncan, Thank you for thinking of us. We would not be able to help you until after New Years. If you are in a rush you might consider Tiecrafters in New York as I have heard that they work quickly (note I have never seen one of their ties, although the owner is very friendly).
Originally Posted by ogduncan
Actually Sam Hober I was going to send you the silk to make the ties if you are up to it. I had already looked at your site and I didnt really fall inlove with any of the ties. They are like you said a little more traditional and conservative and I already have a bunch of those.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads