• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sidetabs on Trousers, appropriate for job interview?

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For job interview in suits, would I be off if my suit trousers have sidetabs so that I appear as though I don't have a belt? Which is better/preferrable for job interview? Suit with sidetabs trousers or with belted trousers?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
If you keep your jacket buttoned who is going to know?

+1.

I can be pretty obsessive about clothing but don't think that I would ever have noticed if people that I interviewed were wearing belts or not, as they didn't remove their suit jackets.

I suppose that in some poses it might be clear that you are not wearing a belt, but I certainly don't think that it would be anything that would lose you the job. Much more important to have clean, well-shined shoes with dark socks and a nice shirt and tie combination.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
totally inappropriate. You will either get denied or you will get a significantly lower salary and also a mean look.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
+1.

I can be pretty obsessive about clothing but don't think that I would ever have noticed if people that I interviewed were wearing belts or not, as they didn't remove their suit jackets.

I suppose that in some poses it might be clear that you are not wearing a belt, but I certainly don't think that it would be anything that would lose you the job. Much more important to have clean, well-shined shoes with dark socks and a nice shirt and tie combination.

Will and Jman,

good points. So you guys don't unbutton the suit jacket when you sit down?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coho
Will and Jman,

good points. So you guys don't unbutton the suit jacket when you sit down?

Hmmm... Now that I think of it, I usually don't unbutton it when sitting down.
I always wear my jacket when I'm in courts or tribunals, and I never unbutton it even when sitting.
However, I usually take my jacket off when I'm at my desk so I don't need to worry about unbuttoning it.

That's not much help to you at all!
However, I can say that quite a few of the men whom I have interviewed over the past few years have not unbuttoned their jackets during the interview. Depending on the cut of the suit, some have looked a little awkward, some have looked fine.
As I indicated in my earlier post, the lack of a belt is certainly not going to cost someone a job. I'm far more interested in their experience, personality and qualifications, and whether they look generally well-presented.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I thought you HAD to unbutton your suit when sitting.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is not a look I prefer, but i have seen a lot more people pulling it off. I think it would be fine in the office but not quite for an interview. Unless it is for one of trendy kind of offices, in which case it will work great.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one is going to care, to be honest. Also, if someone interviewed with suits cut for braces, then his waist would look identical to yours, and I doubt anyone would say that braces are a no no when wearing a suit to an interview.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads