• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Side Vent Strap

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw someone wearing this today. Any idea what purpose this serves? Found an old thread on that other forum, but that was hardly enlightening.

Think this; the strap on the jacket I saw was just a bit lower.

PleatsWaistStrapSideVent.jpg

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That looks like a martingale or half-belt. It is meant for sporting coats and the idea is that it keeps the shape tight while letting the fabric in the pleats expand when you are moving. An alternative method is to have pleats at the shoulder (in which case you can skip the half-belt in the back).

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look like some two bit designer trying to create something new. It is too low to be a back belt really and just looks hideous.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Look like some two bit designer trying to create something new. It is too low to be a back belt really and just looks hideous.

But isn't that what designers do, design something new? Maybe some designs and ideas catch on, everyone else does it, it's no longer new, hideous or unusual.

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is a sewn down, belted back. A martingale would be a loose belt. You get the whole package when you do the pleats at the waistline. Wouldn't look right to have pleats and no belt. This is also cut with an inverted pleat on the center seam on the upper back. Doesn't render well in this cloth. Agree the belt looks low.

Last edited:

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many thanks for the responses - much appreciated. Just to be clear, the 'strap' that I saw was hanging loose and as low as indicated here:

PleatsWaistStrapSideVent.jpg

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That was on the inside of the jacket, correct? It holds the two sides of the jacket together under the vent to keep them from splaying open

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I just had one added to a jacket that had a problem with 'flap flare'. Problem solved.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But isn't that what designers do, design something new? Maybe some designs and ideas catch on, everyone else does it, it's no longer new, hideous or unusual.

Designers might, this was the endeavour of a two bit designer.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just had one added to a jacket that had a problem with 'flap flare'. Problem solved.

Presumably of te type Despos describes in his post above (7)? Tom James MTM commonly has that from the photographs I have seen.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That was on the inside of the jacket, correct? It holds the two sides of the jacket together under the vent to keep them from splaying open

I think you're right; he wore it on the outside, but it looked like it belongs on the inside. Seems like a convoluted way to get close to (almost) the same place as a ventless jacket though...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads