• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sick and tired of tip jars everywhere I go...

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get my car washed: tip jars at the front where they vacuum and at the back where they dry the car. Go to Bagel Boss for a bagel: tip jars at the counter. Go to Dunkin' Donuts for coffee: tip jars at the counter. Go to Carvel for ice cream: tip jars at the counter. I've even gotten some attitude and flip comments after not leaving a tip on certain occasions. I actually feel like keeping a change of clothes in my trunk for the times I enter these establishments. You know, dress in sweats and old sneakers so I don't give off a big spender vibe. The owners should just ban tip jars if they really cared about their customers.

What the hell is wrong with this country?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
maybe if the average american worker gave a sh!t about their job and worked hard... instead most are underpaid, overworked, and don't care, so the assumption is that doing your job well deserves a bonus, instead of it just being an expectation.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
really? those damn tip jar purveyors! its not our fault these lazy bums chose to work at fast food counters, where they get no tip, right?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Yeah, damn tip-whores are almost as lazy as people who start threads without checking to see whether the actually same thread has already been done five times before!

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try the NY Airport Service bus from Grand Central. Signs all over demanding tips, then they get on the speaker and tell you again. Last time I saw the guy unloading luggage with a fistful of dollars in one hand.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Yeah, damn tip-whores are almost as lazy as people who start threads without checking to see whether the actually same thread has already been done five times before!

You should set up a tipjar on your desk. For teh lulz, but also for teh moniez.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
You should set up a tipjar on your desk. For teh lulz, but also for teh moniez.

No need. I get it straight yur paychekz.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse
Get my car washed: tip jars at the front where they vacuum and at the back where they dry the car. Go to Bagel Boss for a bagel: tip jars at the counter. Go to Dunkin' Donuts for coffee: tip jars at the counter. Go to Carvel for ice cream: tip jars at the counter. I've even gotten some attitude and flip comments after not leaving a tip on certain occasions. I actually feel like keeping a change of clothes in my trunk for the times I enter these establishments. You know, dress in sweats and old sneakers so I don't give off a big spender vibe. The owners should just ban tip jars if they really cared about their customers.

What the hell is wrong with this country?

Just because there is tip jar doesn't mean that you have to leave a tip. I've seen the jars increasingly in unexpected places, but I don't always
feel an obligation to tip.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The day I get tipped as a consultant is the day I start tipping people who do not work in a traditional tipping industry.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
The day I get tipped as a consultant is the day I start tipping people who do not work in a traditional tipping industry.

What's your PayPal? I've got something for you.
laugh.gif

wurlwyde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm always super confused by tip jars. For example, is it customary to tip at a deli for a carryout order? I"ll toss them a couple bucks if I eat there and they bus my plate, but I frequent this place around the corner from my house (greek deli) and I always feel bad when I don't tip, but I normally just get my orders to go. However, when I do tip, no one acknowledges it with a thank you, so I don't even know why I'm doing it?

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here in Canada, the $1 and $2 are coins. They'll acknowledge with a thank you if your deposit is bigger than quarter.

They don't if you're shoving them pennies. And then of course sometimes they make a mistake or the till is in use for another customer and they try to make change for the $1.78 coffee with the tip jar. I always feel a sense of guilt then.

And the worse is when you know the whole bloody staff behind the counter is the owner & his or her family. Is tipping simply a surcharge on the product then?

I've been to a few places where you have to get your own food and then pay. You can sit at their place and they clean the plate after you - somewhat like a cafeteria. Every credit card transaction there has a tip line. Should I tip because they heated up my panini or someone knows to come and take the plate to the stack of dirty plates?

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you know how they used to reward good service? by coming back and giving you some goddamn business, letting you keep a job and ****. People don't know how to give good service in and of itself anymore.

xpress

Reaction score
I love the evolution of the tip jar too...
I see the "add tip?" question asked more and more frequently on debit/credit machines!

Sub shops.. clothing stores... pizzerias... gas stations!

Whats this world coming to...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads