• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should the fathers' and the groomsmen's tuxes match?

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
My fiancee and I disagree over this issue. I'm only having one groomsmen (I have a lot of close friends and didn't want anyone to feel slighted and my best man had the same problem, so we both agreed to just do one for both of our weddings). I essentially think all the tuxes should be similar, but that only the fathers need to be the same (and all the groomsmen, were I having more than one). Additionally, mine can be different than either of the preceding classes. My fiancee, who I'm afraid is right, insists that all the tuxes should match, with mine being the only one where variation is permitted. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

videocrew

Reaction score
There's absolutely no reason why any of the tuxes should have to match. Perfect matching between all of the tuxes is a sure sign that you used rental tuxedos, a touch of variation makes it look like you have the kind of friends who already own tuxedos, which are a nice kind of friend to have.

That said, how much variation is there between tuxedos? Obviously you shouldn't be considering some sort of gaudy pin-striped contraption with a pink vest, and black tuxedos with peak lapels and black bow ties all look pretty similar.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Tuxedos do not match unless they are on dancers in a musical.

There is an inherent similarity among dinner clothes worn to a public event in that the dinner suit, bow, and shoes are black and the semi-formal shirt white. To specify greater congruence would be somewhat odd and unfortunate.

If your party, however, do not own dinner clothes, guidance or even defrayment of the costs might lead to a kind of matching or duplication. If that happens, there is no reason to worry about it. Make your party as comfortable as you can and have fun at your wedding.

JonasAberg

Reaction score
I agree with the above posters; there is no actual need for the dinner suits to match perfectly.
However, I can certainly see why a groom would want to stand out just a bit, which could be done by wearing a waistcoat instead of cummerbund, a high detachable collar instead of turndown collar or a peak lapel instead of shawl.

That being said, odds are most people won't even notice these details, just that "they all wore tuxedos".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads