• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I go to uni or buy 6 houses in Nebraska

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are more girls at a University than there are in all of Nebraska.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
you know how to cook da meth?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't study maths. Unless you're going to learn actuarial math, which is the most boring discipline in all of higher mathematics.

**** that. Study pure maths (not boriing at all) then you can do whatever the **** you want.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

**** that. Study pure maths (not boriing at all) then you can do whatever the **** you want.

Agree with this logic, maths is pretty broad in terms of what I can do after. Except making meth in $25,000 Nebraska.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
you don't necessarily need to buy those little bungalows in Nebraska, there are other flyover state towns with prices like that, with properties that might give back a little more.

The town I went to college in (where I shouldn't have gone to college in the first place) has a true ghetto that shares its zoning district with the college downtown main strip where kids party, and it's adjacent to a 30,000 student campus - in other words, 6 of those little $20-30K bungalows plus a little repair for each in said district might net you $3-5K a month in student rentals if they're 2 or 3 BR's. Nobody wants to touch them with a ten foot pole because there are... wait for it.... black people living around there. Clearly, though, you can see what kinda ROI potential they have. I went to house parties over there, I hung out with a couple ghetto kids and dropped them off sometimes, it was fine, just white people being scared of black people. Most of the students are suburban city kids who live on the other side of the strip in crackerbox duplexes and stuff, but there are students who care to save a bit by living in the ghetto.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fuji, I'm assuming you're not staying at Cambridge?

I was at Girton for about 3 months than decided that I didn't like it. I've since moved to Cheltenham and go to uni here. I would seriously consider whether you need a degree. I would estimate that about 60% of students in the UK right now could get further in 3 years by doing apprenticeships, training and basic career progression.

If you are studying Maths, then you better have a damn good idea what you want to do with it. If you just know that you like the subject, but have no career plans then in 3 years time you will have a ton of debt and still no idea. Make sure your plan requires uni, not that its a way to delay making a plan.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
btw, if you don't want to go to college, and you're on your own anyway or the people who'd pay for it are cool with you not going, don't go. It's a lot of time wasted if you already know how to make money, it seems like you have some grasp on the concept.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol I live in girton now. I will use the maths to become an accountant or actuary or something like that. Uni I would be going to is KCL, which I think is alright. If I get a first or a 2:1 should be able to get a job at the big 4 or something decent. The prospect of buying crack dens in the ghetto/ Nebraska is very tempting though.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also should I try to become a chartered account in the UK or my CPA in the US?

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lol I live in girton now. I will use the maths to become an accountant or actuary or something like that. Uni I would be going to is KCL, which I think is alright. If I get a first or a 2:1 should be able to get a job at the big 4 or something decent. The prospect of buying crack dens in the ghetto/ Nebraska is very tempting though.

If you're going to do that, do actuarial math. It's the most boring ************* I've ever encountered, but those that can stick through it are in a good position to make a killing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads