• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shopping & Haircut in NOLA?

dadave

Reaction score
I'm planning to make a drive to NOLA, since there's nothing else out here in Louisiana besides that. I'm hoping to find a few places to buy a few items. I really need to get a pair of Dress Shoes and possibly a tie, and maybe pick up a few casual items (T-shirts and shorts). I've heard of Rubenstein to check out and another store nearby but just wanted to see if yall recommend checking any other places.

I also need a haircut too. any recommendations out there?

dave

Reaction score
Rubensteins is the best in the city but pricey. Great sales though. There's also George bass across st Charles and m Goldberg in uptown. Overall though shopping is very limited in NOLA.

As for the haircut, if you like traditional style barbers do yourself a favor and make an appt with Aiden gill. And whatever you do, do not skip the shave. He also sells trad stuff like bowties if that's your bag. I used to co-own a shop half a block from him up magazine and loved going there. There may be more I'm forgetting but I'll check back in if anything strikes. Have fun!

P. S. NOLA isn't about shopping so if you're looking for places to eat or drink you're likely to get a bit more help

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey I live in New Orleans. Like dave mention, our shopping is really limited. I wouldn't bother with Rubenstein, their shoe selection is pretty terrible. George Bass is a really sweet shop, you'll find your dress shoes and casual stuff there. They carry Edward Green, and Alden. The store have a nice vibe. They do carry a few high end menswear.

We also have a Saks, and Brooks Brothers fwiw. If you like watches, we have two GREAT shop : Waldhorn & Adler and World of time (very cool place for vintage pieces.)

Enjoy your stay in New Orleans, we got some of the best food and nice culture. Pme if you got any questions.

Hangdog

Reaction score
Pellegrini's Barber Shop on East Judge Perez down in Violet. Twelve dollars gets you a great taper cut.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try Perlis in Uptown if you want preppy, I mean really preppy. Unless the place has changed drastically which I doubt.

track309

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DLester
Try Perlis in Uptown if you want preppy, I mean really preppy. Unless the place has changed drastically which I doubt.

You must have lived in NoLa at one point

dadave

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys.
I live in Baton Rouge and have been to NOLA for the food, culture, music/nightlife scene. I just have to pick up a few shopping items and just want to drive somewhere nearby at least. Baton Rouge has squat and sadly a pretty boring town

Do yall know of a restaurant off of Tchopitoulas (or near) that serves kind of unique southern food. I think they are known for some kind of pork dish. It's further down the street away from Canal. I forgot the name but it was crazy awesome

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by track309
You must have lived in NoLa at one point
I did indeed. It is my home town. I believe I still have a Perlis crawfish shirt around somewhere.

Hangdog

Reaction score
You can have the best food in the goddamn world in and around New Orleans without having to pay an arm and a leg for some bullshit "ambience" if you aren't afraid to stray from the safe whitebread preppie enclaves in Uptown and The Garden District. Parkview Tavern over in Mid-City (still pretty expensive) makes great po-boys. Castnet or We Never Close in East New Orleans (where I grew up), Jack Dempsey's on Poland Ave. (lunch specials), Rocky and Carlos (person of Italian descent salad!) or Arabi Food Store in St. Bernard, not far from the St. Claude bridge are all great classic New Orleans places with blue collar prices. The best thing about eating in New Orleans is all the unassuming regular Joe restaurants with food that'll knock your socks off. "Elite" in New Orleans has always seemed awkward to me, I guess that's why all the rich east coast kids at Tulane never strayed more than a few blocks from Uptown.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah if you want to eat at New Orleans East. Castnet is the ****, and We Never Close isn't the same anymore. They have a new owner. Captain Sal down the street have great food as well, try their Seafood Gumbo.

Lol Hangdog, I'm from the East as well!

track309

Reaction score
Jacques Imo's is a definite must. Prices are reasonable, funky fun place, and tons of eye candy. I can go there just for their garlic cornbread alone. If you want something for lunch, try his other restaurant/take out, Crabby Jack's near the Orleans and Jefferson Parish line off of Jefferson hwy. They are known for their Duck Poboy.

Yes, Castnet does have some of the freshest seafood.

dave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dadave
Do yall know of a restaurant off of Tchopitoulas (or near) that serves kind of unique southern food. I think they are known for some kind of pork dish. It's further down the street away from Canal. I forgot the name but it was crazy awesome

Cochon. it's aaaaaaaaaaaall about the pig, (hence the name) oyster and bacon sammich is the cat's ass.

plus a moonshine tasting menu! they're all gross btw.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads