• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe rotation question - need help with the next purchase

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, need some stylistic advice on where to take my shoe collection: I work in a business casual environment and usually wear a shirt and tie to work daily. I have: 2 Pairs of Allen Edmonds captoes Black Park Avenues and a pair of Chili Reddings (bulcher captoes) I would like a pair of brown shoes ,burgundy/merlot, and at some point perhaps a lighter chestnut color (not really a necessity) was thinking either : The Mccallister in merlot
11477_066b.jpg
or the strand in dark brown
11479_021b.jpg
they are very similar shoes, I am having a hard time deciding which to go for: are wing tips less formal than the style of broguing they have on the strand? which color is more flexible with outfits? (i know the answer will be brown but i have a hard time finding brown shoes that have a nice color, these strands look rather boring to me) just wondering if you guys had any thoughts?

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The strand for sure.

I would push for an Italian or English option, something with a bit more refined last.

Eccentric

Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
The strand for sure.

I would push for an Italian or English option, something with a bit more refined last.

This. Allen Edmonds are great shoes, but variety is the spice of life.

card_richelieu

Reaction score
If you are hooked on AE then what follows you can ignore...

In burg I would suggest checking out the Raleigh II form Herring (made by Cheaney I believe). For chestnut (don't know your budget) why not check out C&J Selbornes?

nathan

Reaction score
If you like AE and the perf look, I'd suggest the Hale.

It's sleek and looks a lot less busy then the two shoes you posted. But of course, in the end, it's your decision.

allen19389196636jb.jpg

Francisco D'Anconia

Reaction score
I also vote for the Strand. It's more versatile, plus I just like semi-brogues better than full brogues.

BTW OP, have you seen this thread yet: MY AE Strands arrived a couple days ago ...? The color of the brown leather looks so much better than the photos from AE's marketing department. I'm assuming the brown Mccallister is the same. Either way, among AE's I think you're good with either.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Either the Strand in brown or the McCallister in merlot would be an excellent addition to your shoe wardrobe. I have been flirting with the idea of buying both although I'm already very well supplied with A-E shoes.

bc78

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Either the Strand in brown or the McCallister in merlot would be an excellent addition to your shoe wardrobe. I have been flirting with the idea of buying both although I'm already very well supplied with A-E shoes.

Same here. I think I'd lean towards the strand.

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the recs.....
not really interested going up to italian/english shoe brands as of yet as the price/value doesnt seem to be there for me at this point...
the Hale is out as the #8 last doesnt seem to fit as well on me as the #5 one.

I do agree that I already have two captoes and perhaps should go for something else instead.....

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spacemanvt
Thanks for the recs.....
not really interested going up to italian/english shoe brands as of yet as the price/value doesnt seem to be there for me at this point...
the Hale is out as the #8 last doesnt seem to fit as well on me as the #5 one.

I do agree that I already have two captoes and perhaps should go for something else instead.....

Are you paying full retail for these? If so, C&J Benchgrades are the same price and offer some more interesting lasts, and quality is the same or slightly better depending on who you ask.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is life too short for ugly shoes?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads