• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe refurbishing

HRHAndrew

Reaction score
besides, the newer jags apparently really are much more like the fords, under the hood.
Actually as someone who works in automotive, I can say with confidence that the quality levels and customer satisfaction at Jaguar is at an all time high since the Ford take over. Ford has been very smart with Aston Martin, Jaguar and Volvo, and tried to stay out of the way. Land Rover was a dissaster so they needed to get involved. As opposed to DaimlerChrysler who screwed their company so badly that it is very sad.

please don't have me thrown in the dungeon.
Nothing to worry about, I am a prince of mercy and kindness.

Lomezz

Reaction score
Actually as someone who works in automotive, I can say with confidence that the quality levels and customer satisfaction at Jaguar is at an all time high since the Ford take over

Which basically proves the point that it's not Jaguar anymore :)

Just kidding - I had a cousin up in Connecticut who had a Jag dealership in the early 90's when they weren't doing terribly well. He sold Jags to everybody in the family and that didn't make him very popular around the holiday table, let me tell you that...

Urban Warrior

Reaction score
I have had a pair of AE's refurbished by AE and they did a great job, also had a pair of Santoni's redone by Santoni and it was worth every penny the shoes are like new if not better... On the oother hand I just got back a pair of Cole Haan Nike Air shoes that cost $85 to refurbish from Cole Haan. What a total abortion of a job. The shoes look worse than when I sent them off, globs of glue on them, markings that look as if they removed the soles with a dremel, stains in the finish. they only replaced the heel pad inside etc... On top of all this it took close to 10 weeks. I sent them back 2 weeks ago asking to be contacted but haven't heard a thing...
It depends on the company and the cost of the refurbishing etc...bur sometimes it is well worth it.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm still wearing shoes that I bought more than thirty years ago. Depending on how often you wear them, it can take more than a year to break in a pair of shoes.

Then, after they've molded to your feet and developed some patina, they need soles. Always have them refurbished. Why would anyone want to replace them with a NEW pair?

As long as you have storage you can keep buying new ones anyway. :)

Will

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm still wearing shoes that I bought more than thirty years ago. Depending on how often you wear them, it can take more than a year to break in a pair of shoes.

Then, after they've molded to your feet and developed some patina, they need soles. Always have them refurbished. Why would anyone want to replace them with a NEW pair?

As long as you have storage you can keep buying new ones anyway. :)

Will
Good point about taking a year to break in shoes, Will. I never thought of that. The pics on the Green website show how astounding a job they do for $300. The shoes look better than new.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
I have had shoes resoled, but never refurbished. Do shoes that are refurbished need to be "broken in" again? I would have thought that part of breaking in and making shoes comfortable involves breaking down some of the leather fibers in the shoes....Do shoes refurbished by AE, C&J and E Green that come back looking like new also feel stiff as new?

Bic

Super Fly

Reaction score
My old, stretched Alden cordovan loafers just came back. They did an outstanding job. Included the trees and bags for $125.00. This company is great.
ScreenHunter_8.jpg

Joe G

Reaction score
Actually as someone who works in automotive, I can say with confidence that the quality levels and customer satisfaction at Jaguar is at an all time high since the Ford take over.
The last Jaguar I would ever consider owning, is the 1987 XJ-6. My father for the longest time ran only Jaguars, and Land Rovers or Land Crusiers on the land. When the XJ40 came out, he had to reconsider, because the car was truly a disgrace. He had it sent back and replaced with a Daimler Double Six, which still used the XJ-6 Series-3 platform.

Since the Series-3 the quality of the design, interior, and feel of the cars has fallen into a terminal decline, and Ford's use of a bastard V8 in the cars rather than the correct I6 or V12 is a sign that the foxes have eaten everything inside the henhouse and abandoned it. Yes, Forduars may break down less than Jaguars did, but is that any consolation when the cars have become appliances rather than the masterworks they were under Sir William Lyons? If customers are indeed more highly satisfied now it is only because the customers are lesser individuals than the sorts who once patronised the marque; people who used to buy Jaguars now buy Audis or BMW's. The only marque more defiled by its new corporate master than Jaguar has been Saab.

The 1985 XJ-6 Series-3 Vanden Plas I ran as an undergraduate in the USA was, thirst aside, the perfect saloon. I remember it fondly.

Peace.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thread hijack.

I can understand some reluctance to accept the post-Ford Jaguars, but the XKR is a beautiful car whether one thinks of it as a rightful child of the marque or not. I'm on my second one, and the supercharger gives it a true Jaguar feeling, without the catastrophic maintenance of the older models.

My first XKE had a repair cost greater than my then income. Shudder. I have nothing but good feelings about Ford's influence.

Will

HRHAndrew

Reaction score
If customers are indeed more highly satisfied now it is only because the customers are lesser individuals than the sorts who once patronised the marque; people who used to buy Jaguars now buy Audis or BMW's. The only marque more defiled by its new corporate master than Jaguar has been Saab.
You could be right, but since Jaguar sales have increased at a larger rate than those of Audis or BMW's, the boys at Ford are probably patting themselves on the back.  

You are right about Saab though, GM has not done a very good job of maintaining the individuality of their acquired brands.  

The real concern I have is for Mercedes fans.  The DCX merger is killing a once great company.  I remember a discussion we had a while back, and someone posted with great enthusiasm about the new Chrysler Crossfile that contained fairly significant Mercedes part content.  There was a story in Automotive News recently where DCX execs said that they could never do that again as it wasn't cost effective, and new Crossfires would have the new chrysler appropriate part structure.  So if you are a fan of the Crossfile, buy it this year or you will be getting one of significant lower quality.  Interestingly enough, when the question was asked about the increase of part sharing from Chysler product to Mercedes cars, the DCX rep (not sure who) said that they would continue to increase cross line part sharing to maximize profits.  I think the crossfire experiment shows how they are planning on maximizing profits.  It has me concerned for the future of Mercedes, especially sense they are the biggest customer of my company.

mistahlee

Reaction score
My old, stretched Alden cordovan loafers just came back. They did an outstanding job. Included the trees and bags for $125.00. This company is great.
ScreenHunter_8.jpg
Magnificent. Â That settles it. Â Mine are going in on Monday.

Super Fly

Reaction score
A few details I should mention. The cordovan loafers were from Brooks Brothers, but since they are made by Alden they worked on them. Took 4-5 weeks. Alden the shoes apart and relasted them which removed 1/2 size that was due to stretch. Nicks and cut were removed by refinishing the exterior. They added new insoles (which are stamped Alden). Shipping was included. Worth the $400.00+ new but fantastic deal for refurbishing.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You saved almost $300.00 on a replacement. The shoes truly look great and are a classic (unchanged for at least 40 years).
Whether the process makes sense for the Alden calf models (now starting at about $300.00) is a question for another day.

"Superfly", you've really improved your taste in shoes (even though your avatar reveals that you haven't aged) since your movie came out 30 years ago. Is it really you? Ever since the recent Khalra/Ernest debate, I've become suspicious of the true identity of both fictional and fictitious characters.

In any case, welcome to the forum and thanks for the useful post.

marc37

Reaction score
(Deleted this reply. Messed it up. Why can't we delete our reply's as in Andy's forum. This really vexes me.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads