1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shoe polishing question - water pump?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sygyzy, May 27, 2009.

1. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

I use alcohol and water, the other advantage is that you can keep it colder than o degrees celcious
    Water, spit alcohol...they all work by cooling, and thus hardening, the wax. I haven't used alcohol and water in years but theoretically it should work the best if the alcohol to water ratio isn't too high. Personally I like spit. Just tiny droplets. Sometimes just a heavy breath on the wax is enough. There seems to be something in spit--an enzyme, protein, whatever, that makes it a little slippery. Too much spit, too much water, too much alcohol, with or without water, will ruin a spit shine. I can't count the number of time when I was just learnin to spit shine...40+ years ago...that I ruined a good base of wax by using too much water on my cloth.

2. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

DWF, re mirror shines: I've had better results polishing and brushing a couple of coats of wax all over the shoes, then applying some wax just on the caps and rear quarters to be mirror shined. Some more wax on the strip of cloth (old t-shirt) wrapped around my fingers and dropping a single droplet of water at a time with my pinkie on the area to worked on. As you mentioned, I've also ruined some good bases of wax by slightly dipping my polishing cloth directly in a bowl of cool water the way some recommend. No secret solution or nozzle dispenser required.

3. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

DWF, re mirror shines: I've had better results polishing and brushing a couple of coats of wax all over the shoes, then applying some wax just on the caps and rear quarters to be mirror shined. Some more wax on the strip of cloth (old t-shirt) wrapped around my fingers and dropping a single droplet of water at a time with my pinkie on the area to worked on. As you mentioned, I've also ruined some good bases of wax by slightly dipping my polishing cloth directly in a bowl of cool water the way some recommend. No secret solution of nozzle dispenser required.
    Wes, I have no special expertise in this area...except what being in the military (paratroopers) and spit-shining my boots would confer. But I think you've got the right idea. That's pretty much the way I do it, as well, except I use spit rather than water. I like to see roughly a half dozen droplets no bigger than the ball in a ball point pen, and I breathe heavily on the next, very thin layer of wax rather than spit. People worry about what might be in spit but what might be in water? If it's hard it has some minerals that will build up...at least in tea kettles. If it's soft, what is used to soften it? Used to be it was salt. That said, I've used water as well and if it is, as you said, applied real sparingly...there's probably not much difference.

4. GBer

GBer Senior member

You can find that pump by searching for glass solvent dispenser on Amazon or Google Shopping. Cheers!

[​IMG]

5. amplifiedheat

amplifiedheat Senior member

Have you any idea how much salt is in your spit for gods sake????
    Between .002 and .021 mol/L sodium, and between .005 and .04 mol/L chloride. I couldn't find good data on salivary volume.

6. Lear

Lear Senior member

My method is continually evolving. Right now:

• First pass is with cloth lightly dipped in wax + lightly dipped in water.
    • All further passes (without new dab of wax) are with single finger sprinkles of water. I use up the remaining spots of wax by slightly shifting the cloth by a few millimetres.
    • Last pass (or more) with hot breath

I consider this three stage process a single coat. Then onto the next coat...

When returning later on, I sometimes wonder how much of the alcohol has evaporated from the mix. Never sure if I should add more.

I know, there are more important things in life to consider.

DWFII, I enjoy reading your posts. Very informative stuff [​IMG]

Lear

7. GBer

GBer Senior member

can anyone post the translation of that "how-to" from the Japanese website?

8. JhwkMac

JhwkMac Senior member

japanese link not working for me. any figure out the step by step techniques used by that guy yet?

9. Mesta

Mesta Senior member

website is dead [​IMG]
    Anyone would ID his suit (or similar) ? [​IMG]

10. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Just chiming in here. You can order that exact water spritzer pump in the USA from Micro-Tools on Amazon via the following link:

http://goo.gl/kBzVh

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  11. phototristan

Here's the guy in his shop. I have no idea what he is saying though. Notice all the vials of glass color dye behind him? This is one of the things he uses in the original video. I wonder what brand he uses? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98gPb...eature=related And the original video:

12. slaxer

slaxer Active Member

Thanks for the links media.

Reading this thread I got currious about the ironing video, but since the link is dead I have no way of watching it. Anyone got the link for that video.

13. phototristan

Thanks for the links media.

Reading this thread I got currious about the ironing video, but since the link is dead I have no way of watching it. Anyone got the link for that video.

The ironing video is here:

14. phototristan

Received mine today: [​IMG] It's a very high quality piece although probably over kill unless you are a pro or something. I knew that but I still wanted it just 'cause I think it's so cool. [​IMG]

15. slaxer

slaxer Active Member

thank you for the link mediahound.

16. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

any other source for the one touch dispenser?
    i can't justify spending $32+ for a water dispenser for shoe shining
    :embar:

17. entrero

entrero Senior member

18. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

You can buy a plastic spritzer bottle in any dollar store. Not as nice as this one but will do the job.
    Here is an updated link on that video. Seems the older links weren't working.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]