1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shoe polishing question - water pump?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sygyzy, May 27, 2009.

1. CCH

CCH Member

Great Vid.
    i heard some people uses hair spray, wonder if it actually works....

2. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

Yes, that is a water pump, my wife have one similar for make up.
    The liquid is just water, if you read the text in Japanese.

3. fullb

fullb Senior member

Yes, that is a water pump, my wife have one similar for make up.
    The liquid is just water, if you read the text in Japanese.

Do you know where did she get it i could be interested to have one?

4. kev777

kev777 Senior member

Spit is used for the same reason water is, but spit isn't good for leather because it contains salt so over time it can dry out the leather.

Dont be daft !!!

5. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

She bought it at cosmetic shop. I don't know is it imported from Japan. Her bottle is plastic though.

6. KlezmerBlues

KlezmerBlues Senior member

I think I remember hearing/reading that the guys finishing the shoes at Kiton were using a solution of alcohol and water[...].

What has happened to the good old spit'n'polish?

Perhaps that's the secret alcohol solution, depending on how much you guzzle.

7. Wrigglez

Wrigglez Senior member

with the shirt video, where do i get a press iron like that? if i search on google i get those soccer mom steem holed plastic crap ones which i dont want.

cheers.

8. Saenek

Saenek Senior member

Dont be daft !!!

I think you got that part covered.

9. kev777

kev777 Senior member

I think you got that part covered.

Have you any idea how much salt is in your spit for gods sake???? When we say spit an polish it isnt drown them in spit !!! [​IMG]

10. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

There are pump dispensers like this available through medical suppliers - they dispense rubbing alcohol. People used them with a cotton ball before the prevalence of pre-packaged alcohol swabs.

11. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

12. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Not sure I like the way he irons a shirt.

I always do collar, cuffs, shoulder, sleeves, back, front. Order is from least easily wrinkled to most easily wrinkled so as to not disturb previously ironed sections.

My old man was in the military for years and could iron a shirt perfectly in a couple of minutes, that's the way he taught me.

13. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Spit is used for the same reason water is, but spit isn't good for leather because it contains salt so over time it can dry out the leather.

Is that what your gf told you to refuse giving you BJs? Don't trust the crafty broad!

14. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Is that what your gf told you to refuse giving you BJs? Don't trust the crafty broad!

My retort would have to do with the counteracting effect of certain other fluids, but I won't go there.

15. EricE.

EricE. Senior member

something different:

who is the maker of the shoes in the video??? those are badass!

16. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

To watch the video with better quality
    http://garra.jp/style/tailored/index.html
    And click on the shoes.

To watch an exceptional shirt ironing skill click on the shirt.

What is he polishing the shoes with? He cleans the shoes, then applies brown cream, then applies something from two small tins, one with brown material and the other white. The material in the tins looks like chalk, or solid pigment. Possibly it's just chunks of wax? He pumps something onto his rag (water? alchohol?), then dabs the stuff in the tin, then rubs it all over the shoes. The last step seems to be to rub in some more water, as if he's spit shining them.

17. Drew Goodall

Drew Goodall Member

In a nutshell, the man applies a filler or a tique paste with a cotton cloth, then removes it with water in that dispenser. The rest is polishing and graft.

I know because this is a watered down (sorry about the pun!) version my guys use, with our clients, we are shoe valets.

BTW I love the snappy no nonsense editing - nice!

Drew

18. Coburn

Coburn Senior member

Recently, a fellow member posted his DIY shoes. There was a link to a Youtube video where a man polishes a pair of shoes. Toward the end, he kept reaching over to what looked like a soap dispenser/pump but without nozzle pointing vertically skyward. He always brought a cloth over to it, pumped it, and went back to rubbing the shoe.

What is this? Water? Some sort of chemical? Where can I buy it and which part of the polishing regiment does it come in?

Thanks.

http://www.mendapump.com/Video/Pumps.aspx

19. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

Not sure I like the way he irons a shirt.

I always do collar, cuffs, shoulder, sleeves, back, front. Order is from least easily wrinkled to most easily wrinkled so as to not disturb previously ironed sections.

My old man was in the military for years and could iron a shirt perfectly in a couple of minutes, that's the way he taught me.

Yes but I presume you are using a standard narrow ironing board. It never occurred to me before this video but having a massive board like that allows you to keep the shirt flat and eliminate wrinkles from re-positioning the shirt.

20. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I think I remember hearing/reading that the guys finishing the shoes at Kiton were using a solution of alcohol and water, or aniline and water, with the polish.

I use alcohol and water, the other advantage is that you can keep it colder than o degrees celcious