• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe polisher in London

john_coburg

Reaction score
Hello there - i've tired of trying to get an old pair of Alden colour8 cordovan derby's to look anything other than dull and shabby, trying a cocktail of different Saphir creams and brushes.... i'm getting nowhere and just going round in circles, so feel i need to enlist an expert to do it for me. But who? Can anyone recommend a good, reasonably-priced shoe-shiner who knows what he's doing with cordovan, somewhere in Central London?
I feel there's some lovely patination in there, waiting to be revealed!
Many thanks indeed.

Attachments

• 20230611_172505.jpg
    20230611_172505.jpg
    347.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 20230611_172518.jpg
    20230611_172518.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 91

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello there - i've tired of trying to get an old pair of Alden colour8 cordovan derby's to look anything other than dull and shabby, trying a cocktail of different Saphir creams and brushes.... i'm getting nowhere and just going round in circles, so feel i need to enlist an expert to do it for me. But who? Can anyone recommend a good, reasonably-priced shoe-shiner who knows what he's doing with cordovan, somewhere in Central London?
I feel there's some lovely patination in there, waiting to be revealed!
Many thanks indeed.

The guy at Gaziano and Girling was third place in the shoe shine championship. I don't know if he only does the shoes they make or not.

hollandn

Reaction score
I have used the chap at G&G on a few pairs of cordovan and he did a superb job.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have used the chap at G&G on a few pairs of cordovan and he did a superb job.

Yeah, I've watched his videos and he seems superb. That being said, he does do one thing I never saw anyone else use: he puts a bit of wax polish on the horse hair brush for the initial brushing.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tom at The Valet in Piccadilly Arcade also does good work.

djohns7275

Reaction score
Crockett & Jones , Edward Green , Carmina and just about anybody else who makes Cordovan leather shoes with the exception of Alden leave the leather with a natural finish . Alden however puts an acrylic coating on them . I believe it's similar to the Angelus acrylic coating . This coating tends to make Alden look shiny straight from the get go whereas with the other makers it can take time to develop a shine . The down side is that sometimes that acrylic coating can fail and then they need to be totally refinished .I don't know if this what has happened to your shoes or not . You need an Alden expert to advise you . All my cordovan shoes are from Crockett & Jones .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads