• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shoe life...

johnnyblazini

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johninla
KC are at the very bottom of the list, in terms of style and quality. EG and CJ are tops, as far as I'm concerned.

JL...

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The oldest pair I still wear are black EG cap toes that have been in regular rotation for over 6yrs. They are still on the original soles and heels (with topy's and taps) and look like new. I'd expect at least another 5yrs out of them without any need for repair.

minimal

Reaction score
It's always funny when someone comments on my shoes, and says "Those are nice, are they new?" and I have to think to come up with the age (often 5+years old).

Long ago, I remember reading in my Boy Scout magazine (no, I'm not kidding) about two industrious boys, one whose shoes were delapidated and the other whose shoes were in great condition. The first boy asks the second how he keeps his shoes in such great condition, and the second answers "I look where the puddles are, and step elsewhere" or something similar.

Well, I guess that's enough dating/stereotyping myself for one day. I'm off in the wood-sided station wagon to the bowling alley...

gimmegimme

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Ken Coles are #1

-counting from the bottom, that is.

Even Church's quality is suspicious, nowadays. The rumor is that they use poor quality leathers (corrected grain). Don't know if it's really true, given the high price, but both here and on Ask Andy it's the rumor.

Is corrected grain a bad thing? It seems to be the favoured type of leather when it comes to upholstering furniture.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, corrected grain leathers are made by splitting a piece of leather to remove the very outside layer which is naturally blemished. Then it is buffed or worked on until it looks nice.

This makes the leather thinner and artificially blemish-free. Does that mean it's a bad thing? I'm not sure, but I'm not willing to shell out $500 for a pair of Churches when I can pay half of that for a pair of shoe with better quality leather and similar construction (Allen Edmonds).

Now some may scoff at that and say the AE's have no style and are chunky. Well you can spend your money anyway you want.

Niels

Reaction score
At this moment I am wearing a pair of Grenson Albert which is 4 years old and they look almost new. I have replaced the soles and thats all. They were my first pair of high end shoes so I have used them a lot. It is correct that good shoes well taken care off can have a long life.

horton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gimmegimme
Is corrected grain a bad thing? It seems to be the favoured type of leather when it comes to upholstering furniture.

It may be common, but I don't think it's favored. Real leather couches can be quite expensive, but like real leather anything will improve with age if properly cared for.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My oldest shoes are Alden shell cordovan chukkas. 15 years old and frequently worn.

IMG_0264.jpg

I have no complaints concerning their durability.

billiebob

Reaction score
Is that a split in the leather on the right shoe? My shoes crease deeply after only a couple of wearings, and this is how I suppose they will come to an end. The leather on a pair of Moreschis worn only 10x or so is already damaged by creasing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads