• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shoe colour

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have been looking at all the shoe pRon in several threads and most of the shoes that folks already own seem to be brown or some shade of brown.

I was raised to believe that brown shoes were not appropriate for dress...or perhaps just not appropriate for evening wear. "Any colour is alright as long as it is black."

But with whole closets full of brown shoes (and nary a black pair in sight) either those people are "stay-to-homes" or I'm mistaken in my original assumption.

I have a charcoal jacket and a somewhat different shade of charcoal trousers with a faint rust stripe in them that I wear for dinner and dancing, etc.. Would a pair of brown shoes be considered gauche with this colour combination?

GeorgePaul

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
I have a charcoal jacket and a somewhat different shade of charcoal trousers with a faint rust stripe in them that I wear for dinner and dancing, etc.. Would a pair of brown shoes be considered gauche with this colour combination?
I don't think brown would be very good with this combination. A very dark brown, maybe. I would strongly prefer black.

16520Man

Reaction score
popcorn.gif

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, I didn't mean to start a controversy...or reinvigorate one...I just wanted some advice--pros and cons, that sort of thing.

16520Man

Reaction score
There's absolutely no question that brown shoes -- in most shades -- look great with charcoal pants. The rust stripe in the pair you mention could even add to the harmony of the look.

The only source of controversy is when you wear the brown shoes. Some (probably most) maintain that black is the only shoe color for after six, especially for an event like dinner and dancing. Having noticed a deficit of black shoes in my own modest inventory, I ordered my first real pair of black dress shoes in December. I will be a stay-in until they arrive in February.
shog[1].gif

shoefan

Reaction score
I have traditionally worn black shoes with gray or blue, but I have come around to the notion of brown shoes with blue trousers. However, to my eye, black still looks best with gray, particularly charcoal gray. I guess if I were forced to wear something other than black with gray, I would opt either for a very dark brown (but then, what's the point), perhaps a dark burgundy like the Horween #8 shell cordovan color, or a nicely antiqued brown like the EG burnt pine.

Candidly, given how most Americans dress these days, it is hard to imagine being considered gauche for almost any reasonable color of shoes, as long as they are paired with a jacket and tie. However, I guess it depends on the audience.

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DWFII
I have been looking at all the shoe pRon in several threads and most of the shoes that folks already own seem to be brown or some shade of brown.

I was raised to believe that brown shoes were not appropriate for dress...or perhaps just not appropriate for evening wear. "Any colour is alright as long as it is black."

But with whole closets full of brown shoes (and nary a black pair in sight) either those people are "stay-to-homes" or I'm mistaken in my original assumption.

Welcome DWFII - great to see you here.....when will we get to see some of those boots without shafts someone told me you were working on
wink.gif
? You all want to see an artist, just follow this man -

I don't see any reason why you wouldn't wear a shoe in a color like this with what you describe.....

6pqya9t.jpg
[/IMG]

I think a nice brown calf with the proper finish works with charcoal just fine......

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RIDER
Welcome DWFII - great to see you here. I think a nice brown calf with the proper finish works with charcoal just fine......
Thank you for the welcome Ryder. And thank you for the kind words. I am not a master shoemaker. I have been making boots for 35 years but just recently got interested in shoes after seeing some of Gaziano's work. These are my first pair of shoes--made in the traditional fashion...outseamed by hand at 10 to the inch with hand-made 4 cord linen thread, waxed with a traditional hand wax of pine pitch, pine rosing and beeswax, and tipped with a split nylon bristle. They were made on a boot last...not quite the thing...about three (?) months ago--I have boot orders I have to work on.
smile.gif
I don't yet have a shoe last model that I am happy with. They are an inch and a quarter heel with a beveled waist. I have a narrow heel and a wide forefoot. The shoes look a little "choked" and a little strange...both of which are due to using a boot last rather than a shoe last. But they fit me really, really well. I should hope so! \t
nod[1].gif
I know I have much I can improve upon.
DSCF0428 (640 x 480).jpg
DSCF0422_cropped_resized (640 x 480).jpg
These are a dark brown and from what I have heard they will work fine with my charcoal jacket and trousers as long as I avoid thinking I'm putting on the Ritz. I do have a black alligator pair planned for myself as soon as I can get my hands on a suitable last. PS...lots of "boot" styling there especially on the bottoms but that will go out with the next pair.

jjl5000

Reaction score
Welcome DWFII indeed.

I've had a good look at a number of your boots posted elsewhere and the quality looks excellent. I love the waist suppression & bevelling on the soles!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads