• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brown jeans - outfit style advice?

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Picked up these jeans today, they are on the slim side (I'm mostly enjoying looser fits these days) and somewhat low. But something drew my eyes to them in the store plus the fact I don't own jeans in this colour.

How do these outfits look? Am I thinking along the right lines of how to wear them stylishly? I did try them with black shoes but the only pairs I had to hand looked a little formal. One problem is I already have a LOT of dark brown clothes, particularly shoes and jackets, so I have to match them with lesser worn items like these tan shoes and light brown jacket.
T PXL_20221009_161151231.jpg
PXL_20221009_161331134.jpg
PXL_20221009_160709010.jpg

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More casual footwear would be better. I’m of the opinion that oxfords and jeans is a no go entirely. Boots or loafers would be better I think. I like the idea of those jeans with a crew neck sweater. Maybe a denim/chambray (more casual) shirt & the sport coat would be better than a white dress shirt.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely no jeans with oxfords.
I think a derby boot is usually the best bet. Or a chukka. Or even a chunky derby like a Pembroke. Or certain loafers.

All that said your pictures are too dark to get a read on the color of the jeans. I would take a picture in direct light if you want pairing feedback.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Fair points! As I alluded to, one issue I have is that all of my chukkas and suede derbies are dark brown.
I have some leather derbies that might work, will take some more pics tomorrow. I'll try some more casual shirts as well. Thanks for the feedback so far!

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fair points! As I alluded to, one issue I have is that all of my chukkas and suede derbies are dark brown.
I have some leather derbies that might work, will take some more pics tomorrow. I'll try some more casual shirts as well. Thanks for the feedback so far!

I see no problem in wearing dark brown chukkas with dark brown trousers. Having the colors match isn’t a drawback necessarily.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Ok so here's another attempt taking on board the advice so far ... A more casual shirt, in a brushed cotton, off-white - and dark brown chukkas. Better? PXL_20221010_142935120.jpg

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I also can't get a read on the color of the jeans.

I like the 2nd look the best.....maybe with different shoes.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it’s fine in that most recent one but still prefer more casual styling (like the RL link). I just never jump right to “sport coat” when I think of jeans (but I’ll admit, I’ve only worn a sport coat with jeans once, as a joke).

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sorry, I always take my photos next to a large window but the light has not been good today. They are dark brown - they are this colour, to be precise: https://www.ralphlauren.co.uk/en/sullivan-slim-stretch-jean-588631.html?dwvar588631_colorname=Circuit Brown&cgid=men-clothing-jeans&webcat=search#srule=best-sellers&start=1&cgid=men-clothing-jeans

And when I say the 2nd look, I mean with the sweater.

I also like to look on the RL site.

I have a pair of brown jeans from Banana Republic's Traveller line(I think that is what they are called.) They are not really denim, but cut like jeans and not as restrictive with what I can wear them with. I style them casually.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
I just never jump right to “sport coat” when I think of jeans (but I’ll admit, I’ve only worn a sport coat with jeans once, as a joke).

Yeah me neither actually. It kind of doesn't really make sense to me but it is a look I've seen done well on this site. And I'm interested in ways of wearing my sports coats casually, in this very casualified world we're living in. The truth of the matter is, if it can't be done (or is very difficult to do) then I find myself questioning whether there is actually a need for sports coats at all in the modern gentleman's wardrobe. The opportunities to wear them for formal situations are just too few and far between to justify the relatively high expense. And I love them as individual items of beauty in their own right, so I keep looking and trying to find ways to wear them casually.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
And when I say the 2nd look, I mean with the sweater.

I also like to look on the RL site.

I have a pair of brown jeans from Banana Republic's Traveller line(I think that is what they are called.) They are not really denim, but cut like jeans and not as restrictive with what I can wear them with. I style them casually.
Yeah, it's more that I am trying to find ways to dress down the coat, rather than dress up the jeans. If that makes sense.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads