• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shoe brush

BlackShoes

Reaction score
I have an extremely large hore hair brush, cherry handled and with leather stitched to the back from WS Foster. Great for a quick buff before heading out, or will rub off polish to a satin shine in a very short amount of time.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I use a Kiwi brush that I bought at Duane Reade years ago. I tried the expensive ones, but I went back to the Kiwi. I feel that the bristles are softer and produce a more "buffed" finish much like that of a piece of silk. The others I felt disrupted the finish more than anything.

I use a Kiwi brush as well. I know there are people who will only use horse hair brushes made from the descendents of Alexander the Great's Bucephalus but the standard issue Kiwi served me well in the infantry and it continues to do well for me now. Hell, did two shoes tonight using nothing but Kiwi brushes.

GBer

Reaction score

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How many brushes do you need? Do you use to get off the dust, and a separate one for applying conditioner, polish, cream, etc.?

GBer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
How many brushes do you need? Do you use to get off the dust, and a separate one for applying conditioner, polish, cream, etc.?

Don't forget for different colors.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang

Use a rag for dust. Of course shoe bags help.

I use a rag for applying stuff. A brush for buffing.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The "Star" brand brushes that you can probably buy at any shoe repair shop.

one for browns and one for blacks (and I don't worry much beyond that)

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't know if others do this, but time to time I wash mine with dish soap and let dry over night. Just to avoid buildup that gets streaky and such over time.

A Fine Pair Of Shoes

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
How about a lovely Saphir Polishing Brush - MDO (Medaille d'or 1925), produced in France. Made from hand waxed exotic wood with black or natural boar bristles and ergonomic ridged sides.

Dimensions : width = 4 cm, length = 12 cm, height = 4 cm

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I don't know if others do this, but time to time I wash mine with dish soap and let dry over night. Just to avoid buildup that gets streaky and such over time.

I do this...I suppose if you want, you could also finish off with shampoo to keep the horsehair soft (dunno if it matters)

I wash my applicator brush almost every time...

Simon29

Reaction score
What's the difference between that Saphir brush with boar bristles and those with horse hair that are the ones most talked about?

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
There's no need to get fancy. Don't spend more than you have to just to feel like you're in the know. I use Kiwi shoe brushes, which you can pick up just about anywhere. They last, they work, and they're likely the same exact composition as the other brushes.

Simon29

Reaction score

There's no need to get fancy. Don't spend more than you have to just to feel like you're in the know. I use Kiwi shoe brushes, which you can pick up just about anywhere. They last, they work, and they're likely the same exact composition as the other brushes.

Yeah, I agree. Am just interested in what the difference is between the different bristle type, as I've been reading up on shoe care products and only ever seen horse hair talked about.

Lear

Reaction score
I rarely use brushes anymore. I'll use them on the first few layers of wax on any new shoe. Then it's felt strips for me (the stuff shoe bags are made of). Shoe polishing is a black art :D, with everyone having their own little way of doing things. This works for me.

Lear

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads