Shoe Antiquing Service?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sartorially Challenged, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Sartorially Challenged

Sartorially Challenged Senior member

I was blown away by the antiquing efforts of some folks on this forum (here and here).

They make it look so easy!

As I am utterly un-handy, I'd like to know if there is professional help. Do cobblers generally do this sort of thing? And how much does it cost?

2. Roger

Roger Senior member

I was blown away by the antiquing efforts of some folks on this forum (here and here).

They make it look so easy!

As I am utterly un-handy, I'd like to know if there is professional help. Do cobblers generally do this sort of thing? And how much does it cost?

Great question. After some ham-handed efforts on my own part, I've wondered this too!

3. arced

arced Senior member

Good question! I bought a pair of those Chawner doublemonks that Nerdykarim and norcaltransplant worked their seperate, but equal, magic on. Nonetheless, I'm too inexperienced, lazy, and impatient to attempt it... [​IMG]

4. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Many, many French cobblers offer patination services. Didn't see any in the States.

5. gza

gza Senior member

My cobbler claims to be able to do this, but I'm not entirely confident in that claim yet. I plan to take in a picture (maybe from the "one pic of shoes by day" thread) and see what he says.

6. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

7. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Senior member

Good question! I bought a pair of those Chawner doublemonks that Nerdykarim and norcaltransplant worked their seperate, but equal, magic on. Nonetheless, I'm too inexperienced, lazy, and impatient to attempt it... [​IMG]

I'm flattered.
    The problem with my antiqing job was that I used so much polish the finish cracked every time the shoe bends. If I wanted to keep the finish, I'd have to polish them at least twice a day to keep them looking decent. Yesterday, I spent around 3 hours working on the right shoe...again:
    [​IMG]
    They're slightly darker all around (which I like) and there's a little bit of an accent on the toe cap (which I also like). Best of all, though, the finish stays intact when the shoe bends. I plan on using dark brown on the toe cap and light brown everywhere else when I polish and letting a patina develop quasi-naturally. The picture really doesn't do them justice.

I believe Norcaltransplant lightened his shoes as well, but I'll let him share the new pictures. [​IMG]