• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirtmaker recommendations in NYC

tgfny

Reaction score
Have been a longtime customer of T&A and love them. Like the collar and fit of the shirts, but with the GBP killing the dollar and their discontinuation of their MTM program, I am looking for a less expensive maker for some of my basic shirts. Looking for somone whose "house style" is like T&A's. ANyone have any recommendations?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use Gambert Custom Shirts in Millburn, NJ. I think the style of his shirt is very similar to my T&A. I'm also pretty sure that he'll come into the city to your home or office to measure you and all that.

tdial

Reaction score
Over on Ask Andy, Shirtmaven, aka CEGO, aka Carl Goldberg has an excellent reputation. I believe he could probably make any shirt you'd like, and his prices appear to be very reasonable for a MTM shirt. I believe his shirts are machine made.

tgfny

Reaction score
I use Gambert Custom Shirts in Millburn, NJ.  I think the style of his shirt is very similar to my T&A.  I'm also pretty sure that he'll come into the city to your home or office to measure you and all that.
Collars looked different than T&A and didn't seem to offer 3 button barrels, but will call to see what they can do.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(odoreater @ April 17 2005,17:26) I use Gambert Custom Shirts in Millburn, NJ. Â I think the style of his shirt is very similar to my T&A. Â I'm also pretty sure that he'll come into the city to your home or office to measure you and all that.
Collars looked different than T&A and didn't seem to offer 3 button barrels, but will call to see what they can do.
Yeah, that's right I forgot about the three button barrell. I'm not sure if they can do that. However, I think they might be able to help you get a similar collar. Also a lot cheaper than T&A. Their most expensive fabric I think is the Sea Island at $200. I got an awesome feeling fabric for $130.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
P.S.: No good shirtmaker has a "house style" for custom is what the client wants it to be. Any good shirtmaker can make a 3-Button cuff.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
P.S.: No good shirtmaker has a "house style" for custom is what the client wants it to be. Any good shirtmaker can make a 3-Button cuff.
I always wondered about this, do the shirtmakers have a bunch of pre-made cuffs that they wrap with the material you want, or do they make them seperately for each shirt. And, if they make them seperately, do they end up being of a lower quality than the ones that they are used to making?

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always wondered about this, do the shirtmakers have a bunch of pre-made cuffs that they wrap with the material you want, or do they make them seperately for each shirt. And, if they make them seperately, do they end up being of a lower quality than the ones that they are used to making?
I don't think you quite understand how a shirt is made. Cuffs and collars are cut along with all the other parts of each shirt and sewn into what they are. Except for the largest operations, there are no "parts" kept around to be used when a shirt is made. For example, a cuff consists of two pieces of cloth and one piece of interlining. These three are sewn together and then "turned" (somewhat like turning a pillowcase from inside-out to rightside-out). The resultant piece is then "topstitched" on three sides and, finally, attached to the shirt sleeve. The same basic principle applies to collars, although they are a bit more complex. To respond to the remainder of your question, there is no real difference between a 3-Button cuff and a 1-Button or 2-Button cuff except that it is usually a tad longer. There should be no change in quality ... even if you are going to a 5-Button cuff. With the exception of the two which are obviously more complex, the sewing of all of these is basically the same:
cuffsmp1.gif

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alex, thanks for the response. I really have no idea how a shirt is made at all, but having this kind of information is really helpful when ordering shirts so, thanks for looking out for us.

tgfny

Reaction score
If you're truly looking for a good shirt, your choices are CEGO or Paris.
And if I want a great shirt, I do know where to go. (Live around the corner from your old store. Long live the Madison Pub.)

caledoniasoul2

Reaction score
CEGO and paris on AA forum seem to have the best repuatation. Im working on my test shirt right now from cego and its great right out of the box with only minor tweaking needed

Carl at cego will do a custom pattern hand made or a mtm made by gamert at a lower level. Heck of nice guy too....

cant compare him directly to paris...

ps. i found cego because, like you my T &A are wearing and the low dollar makes even rtw ridicously priced

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads