Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shirt/Tie new suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by btulls, Jun 18, 2011.

1. btulls

btulls Active Member

Just got a new charcoal JP Tilford suit with light pinstripes. I'd say the suit is medium charcoal, not too dark or light.

I have black dress shoes, and am not buying brown ones so that's out of the question.

What colour shirt/tie do you think would go best with this? Right now I only have access to a pink shirt that is faintly checkered and pink tie with dark flowers (I guess) on it.

My other shirt is a faintly checkered light blue one and a black tie with diagonal white/blue stripes on it.

Both look good with my dark navy suit, but not sure they'll work well with charcoal. Also both shirts have button-down collars which I think is a faux-pas.

What would look good?

Thanks

2. dontworryboutit

dontworryboutit Senior member

Just got a new charcoal JP Tilford suit with light pinstripes. I'd say the suit is medium charcoal, not too dark or light.

I have black dress shoes, and am not buying brown ones so that's out of the question.

What colour shirt/tie do you think would go best with this? Right now I only have access to a pink shirt that is faintly checkered and pink tie with dark flowers (I guess) on it.

My other shirt is a faintly checkered light blue one and a black tie with diagonal white/blue stripes on it.

Both look good with my dark navy suit, but not sure they'll work well with charcoal. Also both shirts have button-down collars which I think is a faux-pas.

What would look good?

Thanks

You should get a plain white shirt, as it will work with anything. A solid red tie will do as well, as it can be worn with both navy and charcoal with the white shirt.

3. btulls

btulls Active Member

Thanks.

Here's the suit when I was trying it on at the store.
    [​IMG]

4. Mariooo

Mariooo Senior member

are those large stripes, and how much black in the tie?

together with the light blue shirt, this could propably work

...but I would get a plain white/cream/ivory shirt which would give you lots of tie options for the combo

5. btulls

btulls Active Member

Here are the 2 shirts I have at my present location. I'd prefer not to buy a new shirt, but I definitely will if it will help out..
    [​IMG]

6. latindandy

latindandy Well-Known Member

1 is more conservative
    2 will still do the trick

Don't worry about button down collars. They can actually look cool since they have a casual look.

7. btulls

btulls Active Member

Thanks.

I think I'll get a plain white shirt, and something else.