1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shirt makers in Boston?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by BlvdDandy, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

You might be thinking of Alan Rouleau.

Ordered a suit once from him in his downtown office, which was not a success.  The coatmaker who did the suit has since taken over that storefront under his own name.  I would guess that Rouleau is still operating on Newbury as before.

2. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

Yes, I think it is Alan Rouleau that I was thinking of. Just checked the Ayala shirt BTW -- it is definitely single needle tailoring. However, the fold of the fabric at the edge is a bit wider than other single needle shirts I own, which might explain my mistake. Or, it could just be that I'm blind. [​IMG]

3. Settecento

Settecento Member

Okay, here's a real, live update. It turns out that I live only 20 minutes from Arthur of BoLine Boutique. I visited him on Friday: he is Armenian, speaks fluent English, French, some Greek, some Turkish; his father was also a tailor.

He has beautiful fabrics and the model shirts looked very nice, with the most beautiful mother-of-pearl buttons I've ever seen. I ordered three shirts (the minimum) roughly based on my Hilditch & Key cutaways; the price was $200 a shirt, with delivery in 2-3 weeks. Completely custom-made by him. I'll let you know what they look like at the end of the month (he's about to go on vacation).

I didn't ask him about his possible association with the other tailor. He won "Best of Boston" for 2004, by the way. Here are the details:

495 Washington Street, Norwell MA 02061; tel. 781-659-5980; arthur@bolineboutique.com.

Good luck.

4. Horace

Horace Senior member

That seems like a pretty reasonable price to me. And I know that area.

5. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

Please do post pictures. Best of luck with your commission.

6. brescd01

brescd01 Senior member

Montecristo, first of all, the shirt looks fine and you ironed it well, I think.

But if single-needle tailoring creates these ridges, how is single-needle tailoring superior to double-needle tailoring?

7. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

Single needle is not better then a double needle chain stitch. It just looks nicer. A double needle chain stitch on the sleeve set is not good.

This shirt has a wider flatter single needle finish. I think Shirley at Mr. Harris also used a flatter finish. The advantage of the flatter turn is that you wont have as big a ridge under the arm where the sleeve and body are all joined together.

Carl

8. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

Sadly, I was thinking the same. Â And then I was searching through Target today for saline solution, and came across the clothing section--"Dress shirts" for $19.99. Â Interesting contrast to our forum, where fabric costs at least $19.99/yd (wholesale). BTW, Carl thanks for all the informative posts. I'll be sure to visit the shop once I achieve gainful employment or if I hit the motherload on Ebay, the lottery, etc.

9. brescd01

brescd01 Senior member

I fail to see how single needle looks better than double-needle, if we take ridges out of the equation, which seem to occur in both types. By the way, I examined my Barba, Liste Rouge, Giam Paulo, Harris, and Jantzen shirts' side seams, and the nicest in my opinion were Shirley's, Carl. The nicest material is still in the Barbas and Giam Paulos. I can't compare collars because some have stays and some have the sewn-in type. The best fit is my second-itteration Jantzen and the RTW Giam Paulos are close.

10. hls09

hls09 Active Member

did you ever get the shirts, settecento?