• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shipping chan suit back

gachimai

Reaction score
I recently received my chan suit, this is my 2nd suit from them. I've also had about 4 shirts made with them, everything has been great so far.

The new suit I just got, both sleeves were short, so I need to send the jacket back to H.K for them to make the necessary alterations. They said that I would pay for the shipping cost back to H.K, but they would fix the suit and ship it back at their cost. Their reasoning is that they don't charge air freight and duty just in case an issue arises. I'm going to ship the suit back at my cost, but I guess my initial reaction was that if its an issue with workmanship or something on their side, they should pay for the freight back to H.K.

Or should I look at it like since they are shipping to me and making sure I don't pay duty, its a fair trade off?

Thanks!

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Have it done locally and save the hassle / time/ concern of sending it back. That is a very minor adjustment

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I recently received my chan suit, this is my 2nd suit from them. I've also had about 4 shirts made with them, everything has been great so far.

The new suit I just got, both sleeves were short, so I need to send the jacket back to H.K for them to make the necessary alterations. They said that I would pay for the shipping cost back to H.K, but they would fix the suit and ship it back at their cost. Their reasoning is that they don't charge air freight and duty just in case an issue arises. I'm going to ship the suit back at my cost, but I guess my initial reaction was that if its an issue with workmanship or something on their side, they should pay for the freight back to H.K.

Or should I look at it like since they are shipping to me and making sure I don't pay duty, its a fair trade off?

Thanks!

My first thought would be for them to pay for shipping both ways since they made the error. Maybe they can give you credit for the next order?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Have it done locally and save the hassle / time/ concern of sending it back. That is a very minor adjustment

+1. I'd have the alteration done locally, but I'd also ask Chan for a discount on a future purchase to compensate for their error.

Aldehyde

Reaction score
+1 - It will cost the same for alterations locally as it would for shipping. Have Chan pay for it or discount your next order.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just get it done locally and put it down to experience.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you ship it back to them how would you tell them how much longer to make the sleeves? If you do it locally you have a better chance of accuracy.

if you have a major issue it is better to wait for the next visit to diagnose and fix the problem. When you need something adjusted, it is best to have the person doing the work see it in person.

Small adjustments like this should be expected as part of the process. I wouldn't say Chan has made an error.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
+1. I've had the waist taken in on some bespoke pants locally. Much faster and economical especially on a fairly common alteration. If it were something more major or more critical to sewing style, I would wait to see the original tailor on their (or your) next visit.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Small adjustments like this should be expected as part of the process. I wouldn't say Chan has made an error.

Agreed.

Also, part of it comes to what type of customer do you want to be with your tailor: Do you want to be someone who is always trying to nickel and dime them or someone who looks at the bigger picture and realizes some things are better left unsaid? I'd stick with doing this locally. You can mention this to Chan next time you see them to make them aware, but I wouldn't insist on them giving you a discount or free shipping, etc. Keep your tailor happy and you'll be happy!

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd stick with local tailor, asking Chan for reimbursements if possible or future discounts.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
Demand that Chan not only do the alteration but pay for two way shipping. Also demand that they comp the suit. :nodding:

Seriously, don't be petty. Just get it done locally on your dime. It costs less than the shipping, insurance, and time.

gachimai

Reaction score
Thanks all for the replies. I did consider either waiting for Patrick to come through in November, or going to a local tailor. But, I wanted to see what they would do with it, so I'm just went ahead and shipped it and should get there tomorrow (cost me $48 to ship), we'll see what happens.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So how will they know what to do or how much to lengthen the sleeves?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads