• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shell cordovan

rick

Reaction score
hi everyone i need some help. i do not own any shell cordovan shoes. i am thinking of buying the af76 from alden in carmel. my question is form the pictures the boots look very shinny which i do not like. is shell cordovan very shinny or is it just the pictures. thanks for the help.

Spats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very shiny.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Shell can be as shiny as you want them to be. Some people go to great lengths to create a mirror finish. I prefer a medium gloss, but more often than not, sport a dull finish.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rick
so they are very shinny to start but become dull if you let them?

Yes. Shell does not have to be shiny. I leave most of my shell on the dull side.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Yes. Shell does not have to be shiny. I leave most of my shell on the dull side.
Most of mine are worn dull. They are clean and free of scratches, but I don't buff them enough to obtain a high gloss.

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally enjoy keeping a nice shine on my shell really shows the depth of the color and variation. Cant stand the look of shell when its dull, just looks dry and cloudy. Once again thats just my opinion.

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of them - Alden's moreso than some others - seem to come out of the box shiny and almost oily. My RL/C&J or AE shell shoes didn't seem to be like that. Anyhow, I've never been able to get the mirror finish that everyone talks about with shell. I hit them with a brush to knock the the scuffs off but they never seem to stay SHINY.

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pendragon
If you're going to wear $500 shoes, the least you can do is polish them!

Alden says to polish them only when needed - every six months or so - and simply use a horsehair brush on a regular basis to bring the natural oils to the surface to keep them shiny.

From Alden of Carmel's website:

"The most common mistake men make in caring for their cordovan shoes is using too much polish, and polishing the shoes too often."

http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index...l_cordovan.htm

lockjaw

Reaction score
I think the original post meant to imply that shell shines more brilliantly than calfskin when properly maintained shoes of each leather are compared. Isn't this generally true? And isn't it part of what is attractive about shell cordovan to so many when compared to other leathers?

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnny_flapjack
Alden says to polish them only when needed - every six months or so - and simply use a horsehair brush on a regular basis to bring the natural oils to the surface to keep them shiny.

From Alden of Carmel's website:

"The most common mistake men make in caring for their cordovan shoes is using too much polish, and polishing the shoes too often."

http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index...l_cordovan.htm

My father swears this isn't true. He polishes his shell cordovan after each wearing, and I have to say, they are as shiny as I've ever seen and look great. They certainly do not have any gunky buildup.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lockjaw
I think the original post meant to imply that shell shines more brilliantly than calfskin when properly maintained shoes of each leather are compared. Isn't this generally true? And isn't it part of what is attractive about shell cordovan to so many when compared to other leathers?

No, that is not what is attractive about shell. To me. And your phrase "properly maintained" is question-begging. I properly maintain my shoes. But I choose not to mirror shine them. Esp. the shell.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads