1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Share some SF History

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by in stitches, May 12, 2011.

1. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Was the golden age in the winter of 2003?
    It was definitely before winter 2008.

2. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

3. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

I make mine with whole wheat flour and use blueberries. Add some dark-roast coffee and bacon and we have a nomtastic morning.

You and I...we happen. Yeah.

4. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

You and I...we happen. Yeah.

^^^ s'up Teacher? Long time no see.

5. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

Was the golden age in the winter of 2003?

The golden age was around 2005-2006. The samples sales were frequent, plentiful, and dirt cheap in New York City. Paul Stuart #1 was absolute chaos. And, to a lesser extent, the Asprey sample sale and moving sale were also feeding frenzies. I distinctly remembering listening to a bewildered sales woman wondering why she was receiving a dozen phone orders for lacquered shoes trees marked down to ~$35 (lasted for Edward Green 202s).

The fiascos of Darren Beamon and Carlo Franco were also memorable, though rather infuriating moments as well.

6. dah328

dah328 Senior member

The golden age was around 2005-2006. The samples sales were frequent, plentiful, and dirt cheap in New York City. Paul Stuart #1 was absolute chaos. And, to a lesser extent, the Asprey sample sale and moving sale were also feeding frenzies. I distinctly remembering listening to a bewildered sales woman wondering why she was receiving a dozen phone orders for lacquered shoes trees marked down to ~$35 (lasted for Edward Green 202s).

The fiascos of Darren Beamon and Carlo Franco were also memorable, though rather infuriating moments as well.

Yep, I got some Grenson Masterpiece for PS for $25 at that first sale. I can't see that happening ever again.

7. Matt

Matt Senior member

The golden age was around 2005-2006. The samples sales were frequent, plentiful, and dirt cheap in New York City. Paul Stuart #1 was absolute chaos. And, to a lesser extent, the Asprey sample sale and moving sale were also feeding frenzies. I distinctly remembering listening to a bewildered sales woman wondering why she was receiving a dozen phone orders for lacquered shoes trees marked down to ~$35 (lasted for Edward Green 202s). The fiascos of Darren Beamon and Carlo Franco were also memorable, though rather infuriating moments as well.
    Yep, I got some Grenson Masterpiece for PS for $25 at that first sale. I can't see that happening ever again.
    yup, this is my vintage too. I know we do a halcyon days of yore thing every once in a while, but to me anyway, that was SF at its finest... the best litmus test of this revolves around someone who, in due course, I've met and come to consider a friend.... Litmus test: Kent Wang is: 1. respected senior member, and purveyor of fine finery 2. that overposting n00b with the parasol If you answered 1, you Weren't There For It Maaan

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Was cruising the shoes for sale on ebay and a real old memory came back. Remember that dood that kept trying to sell some vintage boots...Alden I think...for around 10k? Some members found his ebay sale and linked it here. Then all hell broke open and he was I-stalking a poster or two, law suits were threatened. If I remember right, he was some guy that sued the USPS and got a settlement then was living off that?

9. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

^^^ "Priceless Lobbs"

10. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Senior member

11. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Was cruising the shoes for sale on ebay and a real old memory came back. Remember that dood that kept trying to sell some vintage boots...Alden I think...for around 10k? Some members found his ebay sale and linked it here. Then all hell broke open and he was I-stalking a poster or two, law suits were threatened. If I remember right, he was some guy that sued the USPS and got a settlement then was living off that?

Shhh... it is "he who shall not be named".

12. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

^^^ "Priceless Lobbs"
    Wow, I had forgotten about this. Unreal.

13. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

As I recall, he claimed to have son in Iraq whom, he said, someone on SF (jinda?) emailed that he hoped got killed by an IED or something. Based on that he was going to go on Fox and denounce SF to the world. I happened to have, uh, connections at Fox and looked into this and no booker that I talked to had ever heard of him and all of them laughed at the mere thought that they might put him on the air.

14. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Senior member

LOL. Someone link me the thread.

15. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

LOL. Someone link me the thread.

+1 I never heard this story

16. Homme

Homme Senior member

Was cruising the shoes for sale on ebay and a real old memory came back. Remember that dood that kept trying to sell some vintage boots...?

He was much more distinguished than a mere dood, dude.

17. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I can't believe I remembered it but it was truly a classic.

18. 4Mica

4Mica Senior member

yup, this is my vintage too. I know we do a halcyon days of yore thing every once in a while, but to me anyway, that was SF at its finest... the best litmus test of this revolves around someone who, in due course, I've met and come to consider a friend.... Litmus test: Kent Wang is: 1. respected senior member, and purveyor of fine finery 2. that overposting n00b with the parasol If you answered 1, you Weren't There For It Maaan
    If you answer 2 then you know you are a chump if you mow your own lawn.

19. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    +1 I never heard this story

++11

20. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    If you answer 2 then you know you are a chump if you mow your own lawn.

[​IMG]