• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shady Ebayer...what should I do?

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just won a Prada Jacket. The BIN price was $500. I ended up winning the auction for $56. The shipping charge was clearly listed as being $8.95. I get the invoice and this seller decides to charge $110 for shipping. Here is the link to the listing:

Prada Jacket

I just sent him a msg asking to send me a new invoice with the correct shipping charge. If he decides not to, what recourse do I have?

Thanks.

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
More importantly, your ebay handle is urapnis??

LoL! Yes it is.

And I should add that the $8.95 was calculated by by ebay. The seller is in france. He messaged me saying that it will be $87 to ship to the US. This still seems like a lot. When I ordered shoes from Pediwear from the UK, it was $30 I think....

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the seller is obligated to honor the 8.95 shipping, but only to the extent that the consequences would be neg feedback or getting his account canceled. Most sellers of this type are fine with either of these punishments rather than lose $200 through completing the sale.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dshin
LoL! Yes it is.

And I should add that the $8.95 was calculated by by ebay. The seller is in france. He messaged me saying that it will be $87 to ship to the US. This still seems like a lot. When I ordered shoes from Pediwear from the UK, it was $30 I think....

Ask him to ship using colissimo international....should cost from 30-50 USD.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ridiculously high shipping rate.

I use Royal Mail International Signed For from the UK, with insurance and tracking and a suit costs about $50 to ship (taking into account packaging & fuel to the post office). A jacket should be a bit less. I don't know French rates, but I doubt it's more than twice the price! Esp. since he wouldn't need much extra insurance, which is what increases the postage a fair bit.

If he put up $8.95 as his rate to deliver to the USA, he has to stand by it. That would be crazy low shipping though.

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ended up agreeing with the $87 shipping. I did a quick price check via UPS and the cheapest started at over $100. The $8.95 was being calculated by ebay...Oh well. I am still happy with the final price for an essentially new prada jacket.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dshin
I ended up agreeing with the $87 shipping. I did a quick price check via UPS and the cheapest started at over $100. The $8.95 was being calculated by ebay...Oh well. I am still happy with the final price for an essentially new prada jacket.

you are looking at the wrong place then. shipping should not cost more than $50, even when shipped express 2-3 day international, especially for something as light as a suit.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a regular seller on eBay (of toys, not clothing) and I can tell you that eBay does not calculate shipping. The shipping calculator is based on the weight that the seller listed the item as and his originating location. It appears that this French seller decided to post to the US knowing he would get more lookers and appears to have put USPS Flat Rate box as his shipping method. Shipping to anywhere in the US via Flat Rate box is $8.95. Except this French guy has absolutely no access to USPS since he's in France. This appears to have been a seller's mistake. I, as a seller, generally make good on my own mistakes (since they tend to be small mistakes that cost me $2 to $3 or I sell large volumes of identical items and simply fix the mistake on subsequent items).

But since this seller is selling this single item, I think he should be allowed to cover a realistic shipping cost. Realistically, this item should be folded properly and fit inside a box and weigh no more than 3 pounds and the cost shouldn't be more than $30 for 10 day max service and $35 for 2-3 day Priority or the French equivalent.

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
I've occasionally encountered eBay sellers garnishing a bit of extra profit from jacking up the postage price. I usually find a stern but polite message pointing out the unlikelihood of the initial quoted fee is enough to have them issue a revised price.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like the buyer is enamored enough with the Prada jacket to be willing to shell out for postage. I hope the jacket is real. The whole situation sounds like a setup for a complaint later about bogus products.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads