• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Semi-Formal Occassion

yojoe

Reaction score
Hi, I'm attending a Debut next week and I have no idea what to wear. I have black shoes and a black suit in my wardrobe but I think that's a bit too formal so I might have to go buy it. The whole 'semi-formal' term is throwing me off as well. I'm a bit confused, can anyone help me.?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tell us more about the event. If by Debut you mean a debutante ball I suspect that semi-formal may have its traditional meaning, which is "black tie." In that case, a black suit would not be formal enough.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Agree...Please elaborate....

yojoe

Reaction score
I was told it was semi-formal - and yeah it's a debutante ball - held in a banquet hall

it's held in the evening starting at 6pm

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Tell us more about the event. If by Debut you mean a debutante ball I suspect that semi-formal may have its traditional meaning, which is "black tie." In that case, a black suit would not be formal enough.

+1. You need some new duds!

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Call someone organizing the event and ask. No reason to be in doubt.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do call, but I'm pretty sure that "semi-formal" means black tie. Consider yourself lucky. Traditionally, these events have been white tie.

In fact, you are luckier than you realize. BB, as it happens, is having an incredibly good sale on DJs.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're going to a "Debut" can I assume the girl is Filipino? This might help a bit:

On their 18th birthday, Philippine women throw a large party, complete with her own hand-picked debut court of 18 people. These 18 are 9 males and 9 females who the celebrant pairs off into partners. The celebrant's court usually wears a uniform formal outfit chosen by the celebrant similar to that of a wedding party, while the celebrant typically wears an extravagant ball gown.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ive been to a debut in the philippines, was one of the roses cant remember how many of us there were 9 i think? anyway we just wore long sleeve shirts and dress pants. There were several politicians as well as members of prominent families there and it was held in the ballroom of the peninsula, so it might be a good idea to check what to wear because we were all pretty much in business casual for what should have been a very formal event. Meaning showing up in a tux might not be such a good idea. The girls went all out on their dresses however!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads