• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Self Edge SF/NY/LA/PDX/MX - Japanese Denim & Leather, Top Notch Basics, Very Nice Jewelry + Eyewear, & More

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@kiya - would you say that the FCL Eric in 2mm horse (https://www.selfedge.com/jackets-vests?product_id=2605) or the similar Ironheart jacket is tougher and heavier: https://www.selfedge.com/iron-heart?product_id=2592

And how do they compare to the Schott in terms of weight and sizing. It's crazy though, I wear a medium in the Schott x 3Sixteen x Good Art, and it fits only slightly more loose than on your model, who is wearing a size 46! I guess that I would be a 44 for the same fit.

I would honesty say those two jackets are equal in weight and toughness, if anything maybe the Fine Creek is a bit more robust in leather and construction.
About the comparison to Schott, which Schott/3s jacket are you referring to?

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Studio D'Artisan 40th Anniversary Charcoal Weft Jeans & Cobra Buckle Backpacks

Two special releases from Studio D'Artisan this week!

First off we have a new jean made of a denim developed as part of their 40th anniversary capsule collection. This is a 14oz slub yarn denim with a charcoal dyed weft. This gives the indigo denim a very unique shade from the slightly charcoal colored weft. These are available in their straight tapered fit.

We've also received a small run of nylon and Cobra buckle backpacks. They've done these in conjunction with a bag-maker in Japan which specializes in ballistic nylon bags made with fancy buckles and buttons. These are super functional and have some cool SDA branding.

Shop Studio D'Artisan Online

Studio_DArtisan_SP-068_40th_Anniversary_Jeans_Straight_Tapered_01-680x1025.jpg

Studio_DArtisan_SP-068_40th_Anniversary_Jeans_Straight_Tapered_05-1025x680.jpg

Studio_DArtisan_SP-068_40th_Anniversary_Jeans_Straight_Tapered_07-1025x680.jpg

Studio_DArtisan_SP-068_40th_Anniversary_Jeans_Straight_Tapered_11-1025x680.jpg

Studio_DArtisan_SP-068_40th_Anniversary_Jeans_Straight_Tapered_15-1025x680.jpg

Studio_DArtisan_Cobra_Buckle_Backpack_01-680x1025.jpg

Studio_DArtisan_Cobra_Buckle_Backpack_03-1025x680.jpg

Studio_DArtisan_Cobra_Buckle_Backpack_04-1025x680.jpg

Studio_DArtisan_Cobra_Buckle_Backpack_05-1025x680.jpg

Studio_DArtisan_Cobra_Buckle_Backpack_06-1025x680.jpg

Studio_DArtisan_Cobra_Buckle_Backpack_07-680x1025.jpg

Studio_DArtisan_Cobra_Buckle_Backpack_08-1025x680.jpg

Studio_DArtisan_Cobra_Buckle_Backpack_10-1025x680.jpg

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scale of 1-10, how gnarly is the 20oz Flat Head denim? Somebody school me on how aggressive it is to break in.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Scale of 1-10, how gnarly is the 20oz Flat Head denim? Somebody school me on how aggressive it is to break in.

I'd say it's a 7 out of 10. Once you soak them they'll become a little more dense but they actually will soften up within a few weeks of wear.

Vickt

Reaction score
I'd say it's a 7 out of 10. Once you soak them they'll become a little more dense but they actually will soften up within a few weeks of wear.

Just curious, what’s a 10/10? The 3202’s I got from you guys are my all time favorite jeans, but they cut up my knees and turned my legs blue for a month.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Just curious, what’s a 10/10? The 3202’s I got from you guys are my all time favorite jeans, but they cut up my knees and turned my legs blue for a month.

10/10 would be a jean we wouldn't carry by a couple of brands which I'd rather not name because we don't carry them.
Though I'd say one step up from the FH jean would be Iron Heart's unsanforized (not the sanforized models) denim which is above 21oz, and that I'd rate at about 8/10.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Pure Blue Japan 16.5oz Slub Denim Jeans!

Well, we're going to keep the ball rolling in these very surreal times... For now all new products can be purchased online as our online store is still shipping out orders and our Mexico store is still open for the time being.

This week we have a new jean from Pure Blue Japan in a tasty new denim style they've developed to contain just the right about of slub in a nice medium weight 16.5oz unsanforized (but Self Edge-style rinsed) denim. This comes in their popular straight tapered fit and is sure to be a model which we'll need to restock every year as early in-store response has been very good.

Get this jean now online and (hopefully) soon when our stores reopen in the states. Stay safe out there and love you all.

Shop Pure Blue Japan Now

Pure_Blue_Japan_SLB-019_16.5oz_Slub_Denim_Jean_Straight_Tapered_01-680x1025.jpg

Pure_Blue_Japan_SLB-019_16.5oz_Slub_Denim_Jean_Straight_Tapered_05-1025x680.jpg

Pure_Blue_Japan_SLB-019_16.5oz_Slub_Denim_Jean_Straight_Tapered_07-1025x680.jpg

Pure_Blue_Japan_SLB-019_16.5oz_Slub_Denim_Jean_Straight_Tapered_14-1025x680.jpg

Pure_Blue_Japan_SLB-019_16.5oz_Slub_Denim_Jean_Straight_Tapered_16-1025x680.jpg

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting about the knees. Found the fabric too coarse? However you rate them, they are freaking GNARLY. Arrived today, and just put them on, and these damn things feel like they can stop a bullet.

Vickt

Reaction score
Interesting about the knees. Found the fabric too coarse? However you rate them, they are freaking GNARLY. Arrived today, and just put them on, and these damn things feel like they can stop a bullet.

Yeah, they were super stiff and tight in the knee after soaking. It took awhile to soften, even wearing them every day. Completely comfortable now though. Prepare to leave indigo stains everywhere.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, they were super stiff and tight in the knee after soaking. It took awhile to soften, even wearing them every day. Completely comfortable now though. Prepare to leave indigo stains everywhere.
I'm seeing (well, feeling lol) what you mean. Excited to see how they break in though. Almost hard to imagine them developing legit creasing...the denim feels sturdier than a bulletproof best.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The Fine Creek Leathers Horsehide Eric Jacket

One of the most anticipated releases of the year has landed. The new Eric model from Fine Creek is produced of a 2mm custom horsehide and lined with a cool feeling cupra liner, perfect for all-climate wear. Check the product page for a full rundown of the specs on this jacket.

These are available now online, what's left of our online stock will be available at all of our stores once we're able to reopen.

Shop Fine Creek Leathers Online

Fine_Creek_Horsehide_Jacket_Eric_01-680x1025.jpg

Fine_Creek_Horsehide_Jacket_Eric_04-680x1025.jpg

Fine_Creek_Horsehide_Jacket_Eric_06-1025x680.jpg

Fine_Creek_Horsehide_Jacket_Eric_07-1025x680.jpg

Fine_Creek_Horsehide_Jacket_Eric_08-1025x680.jpg

Fine_Creek_Horsehide_Jacket_Eric_09-1025x680.jpg

Fine_Creek_Horsehide_Jacket_Eric_10-1025x680.jpg

Fine_Creek_Horsehide_Jacket_Eric_11-1025x680.jpg

bbconair

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so...i want a denim jacket - where do i start?
i have a decent amount of experience in raw denim jeans, but don't know anything about denim jackets (raw, or otherwise). there seems to be an infinite number of style choices (Type 1,2,3, - in addition to each brand having its own cut)

are there any guides? my understanding is that denim jackets are even harder than denim jeans to fade - how long / how many daily wears would i expect to need to bring a raw black denim jacket to a nice, faded black? i'm worried i won't be wearing raw denim jacket enough to give it any character - and in that case what other options do i have?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads