• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Self Edge SF/NY/LA/PDX/MX - Japanese Denim & Leather, Top Notch Basics, Very Nice Jewelry + Eyewear, & More

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scb
thinking of getting some RJB 105bsp. my waist is 33 and I want something with a knee measurement no smaller than 9 (my 31 kmw 1950s are 9 inch knee and fit very well). with max shrink and stretch, do you recomment 32 or 33?

I think you should go with the size 32, you'll like the fit better after they've been soaked then worn a few times.

Originally Posted by mlyngard
Clearly all due to Andrew's knowledgeable, low-key sales technique.

Try the denim thread. Since SE is out of stock on Skull and doesn't carry the grey and we won't recommend a competitor on SE's own thread.

Honestly, i'd stay away from the gray 5010. We carried them at one point and couldn't get rid of them, the denim wasn't great and they had a really washed out look to them. Also, due to (i'm guessing) an unstable dye they actually turn pinkish as they wear in.

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kiya
I think you should go with the size 32, you'll like the fit better after they've been soaked then worn a few times.

thanks, the 105s seem to have the more relaxed fit i'm looking for

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kiya
Please go here and vote for my best friend's bands, vote for the Paranoids.
(no registration required)

http://sf.thedelimagazine.com/snacks

voted, my band won the LA one a few months back and deli totally are supportive and got us free mastering at peerless, which is amazing

Dexter_

Reaction score
criticinline2-popup.jpg

Where can I find more info about the bag on the top right shelf?

freestyl

Reaction score
Any discounts currently for Flat Head? Need just one last reason to pull the trigger on some 310's.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
In a fit of madness I just ordered a FH 1001. This will be my fist premium jeans. The only raw jeans I have experienced till now are APC and N & F.

How different is the fit from APC NS.

Am I supposed to soak them before wearing ?

Originally Posted by Asch
Yes, you should give them a hot soak before wearing. They are unsanforized.

The 1001/3001 is slimmer in the thigh and seat than an appropriately sized APC NS, but does not taper as much below the knee. The rear pockets on the 1001 are higher and closer together than on the NS (i.e., the opposite of anti-fit). Be aware that Flat Head denim is not as stretchy as APC's, so if the 1001s are skin-tight in the thigh for you after a soak, you may have problems getting them to stretch out enough for you.

Originally Posted by mlyngard
Second Asch's review. Man, comparing those to APC is an exercise in apples to oranges. You're in for a world of awesome new experience. You'll look at your APC like they're made of plastic wrap in a few weeks. You'll never go back.

I'd just add that the -01 series have a nice wider-hipped top block (esp. compared to the APC). It makes total sense in a week or two of wear, but you'll experience some initial hip-flare until that softens up. It's a great fit right away though. Stretch is moderate. Denim stays crisp and develops an amazing vertical slub texture by month 2. You'll see why FH fans are so devoted.

Also, both my BSP and 5001 had a distinct second shrinking once washed after the initial first hot soak. Double-soaking before wear may not get all the shrink out. Suggest a spin in the washing machine after a few weeks to take care of this. Does wonders for the fit and denim. Trust me on this.

Also - do not under any circumstances adhere to the 6-month no-wash hype with these. Great fades come to those who wash regularly.

I'm excited for you!

So, my Flat Heads landed yesterday. Initially they were huge and the inseam was almost never-ending.

I soaked it for a half hour and then put it to dry inside out. After it dried I soaked it again and dried it again. The jeans shrank significantly and now the jeans fit me everywhere except the top block. The thighs are a bit snug but not a problem. The waist fits me well though I could also do with .5-1" tighter at the waist as well.

The only area where I see a problem is the crotch and ass which I feel is loose. The jeans have a little extra cloth in the front and the ass is also a little looser than I like.

Any thoughts ..

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by freestyl
Any discounts currently for Flat Head? Need just one last reason to pull the trigger on some 310's.

Nope, sorry no discounts. If you want them i'd buy them before they sell out, not sure when they're doing another run.

The only area where I see a problem is the crotch and ass which I feel is loose. The jeans have a little extra cloth in the front and the ass is also a little looser than I like.

Any thoughts ..

Is there a reason you want the waist to be tighter?
You can get more shrinking out of them by hot soaking them for 20 minutes then putting them inside out into the dryer on high for 30 minutes, that'll shrink them even more.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ If I try to shrink them even more I fear the thighs would be too tight for me. I am very satisfied with the fit at the waist and the thigh but the area around the crotch seems to have a lot of loose material. It doesnt look clean as we say in the MC. There seems to be excess material on both sides of the fly.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
That's mostly due to the rigid denim that falling naturally.
If you notice when you look at photographs of fits of that jean which have been worn for months you'll never see a pair which sits funny in that area because the denim softens with time and falls naturally.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Ok, thanks, I am going to stick by them and see how they shape up rather than selling as suggested by another member.

masterllama

Reaction score
^^ Ok, thanks, I am going to stick by them and see how they shape up rather than selling as suggested by another member.

I can't help but agree with you.

The inseam shrank to 35 inches, which is perfect. The thighs are about right. However, the waist is loose and there definitely seems to be too much room jn the crotch and ass.

Kiya do you have the 1001 in size 29? I know it's out of stock in SF, do they have it in NY? If not, do you know when you'll restock?

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by masterllama
I can't help but agree with you.

The inseam shrank to 35 inches, which is perfect. The thighs are about right. However, the waist is loose and there definitely seems to be too much room jn the crotch and ass.

Kiya do you have the 1001 in size 29? I know it's out of stock in SF, do they have it in NY? If not, do you know when you'll restock?

We'll have more of the 1001 in a few weeks, should be mid-may.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads